• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Ant Keeping Communities /Rant

rant

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Loops117 - Posted July 7 2017 - 8:31 AM

Loops117

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 802 posts
  • LocationSouth Lyon, Michigan

It just seems like all this info i've been finding lately counteracts the other info i come across. The last 3 species i've researched have information that's inconsistent with other sources. This is why i hate that other ant keeping companies want to keep their communities exclusive. We're not a hobby of freestyle biking, or something that's been researched and redone 100x over. Ant keeping is still relatively new. There's countless species we have some info on, but nothing solid when it comes to keeping them. If we could centralize the hobby to one main forum, the content that would be shared could help out hobbyist to a much better extent. Instead, we have great information being put in places others can’t find.

How many of you guys have had to scour other sites and pages just to get an answer to your question or needs? I’m sure many of your answers came from other journals or threads in various forums. You can’t expect actual research teams and companies to have all the information on each species we come across in this hobby, especially when it comes to a captive life. We have to rely on our own experiments and research when it comes to care, but what about the few of us that have species you don’t find often? What about the new hobbyist that are unable to readily find new queens when their first batch fail? I feel that as an experienced ant keeper, it is my duty to help the amateurs succeed in this hobby. With each new hobbyist, there’s the chance for a journal and content that can help another hobbyist along the way. These same amateurs you help out could end up solving an issue you’re having with a certain species or even inspiring them to go to school for entomology. I personally have taken advice from someone that I brought into the hobby. They were able to figure out how to solve an issue I was having with L.neoniger and stop me from possibly killing more queens in a failed attempt to found a colony.

I also dislike FB for any kind of journal keeping or passing of information. FB is too much "hey look at me" and not enough "Use this to help yourself". You’ll find some great information and when you need it a week later, you can no longer find it in the mass of retarded posts. There’s absolutely zero organization to Facebook pages and this results in countless lost posts that could solve your problems.

And instead of having great minds that help correct mistakes when they see them, they just don't see them at all. This causes people spreading false information to be able to continue to do so. Nobody to check them on their facts. This results in countless keepers swearing by honey as the best, or calling a certain formicarium or company "the best" when they've yet to actually explore the hobby. I’ve come across “tests” with information that will “Help your ants”, but they were merely a weeklong trial period resulting in inconclusive data. I’ve seen countless posts from people explaining that Honey works well, then to later read in the comments that they haven’t tried sugar water, sunburst, or any other solution????

We have some of the greatest ant keeping minds right here at Formiculture.com. We also have some of the greatest ant keeping content and information right here at Formiculture.com as well. Why would anyone want to share their opinions, thoughts, questions, and results with a community that’s not going to give them anything in return? Are we not all here to learn and explore this amazing hobby? I can promise you won’t find a better gathering of Entomologist and Myrmecologist ready to answer your ant related questions in any other corner of the internet.

/Rant

• Martialis and Nincadaguy like this

#2 Offline T.C. - Posted July 7 2017 - 9:41 AM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
I like to call all these random forums.... "forum breakoffs." The yuku forums was first of all forums. Ant dude went all crazy so people started creating other forums. Myrm's ant nest, ant hill world, and this one to name a few. This one just so happened to be the best. Ant hill is actually the worst of all. Their admin is just crazy. The forum went off line a few times because she couldn't make up her mind what she wanted, the rules are extreme crazy, and she goes on banning strikes. People like antscanada (aka mikey bustos)definetly keep to themselves. They make it seem to all newcomers they have the only forums and the only place to buy ant keeping products. Tarheel ants (aka mack) have a face book page which is very cultish, in many ways. Really this place is the only place that vendors are welcome on and where everyone can speak freely. (Aside from the few rules)
  • Nincadaguy likes this
“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

#3 Offline ultraex2 - Posted July 7 2017 - 10:00 AM

ultraex2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Yeah, I think Formiculture.com is one of the best major ant keeping forums.

I think Antscanada bans people from advertising other forums, and antfarm is a lot less active then it used to be.  The /r/ants over on reddit is decently popular and has a lot of newer people to the hobby.

I definitely understand the frustration, though - I know when I need try to research something about raising a certain kind of ant I usually start with google/antwiki/wiki and find what I need maybe 30% of the time.  Then I just go look at journals on here or wherever else to find out what I need.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users