• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Food For Ants - Meal-worms Dominica

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline souljah212 - Posted July 7 2017 - 5:06 AM

souljah212

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

So I live in the Caribbean on the Island of Dominica, not to be confused with the Dominican republic. And we don't have pet shops here. Which means nowhere I can get readily available meal-worms, crickets, etc. 

I have looked up how to breed meal worms but the info I have found on YouTube its people who bought some at a pet store and then bred them from there on. 

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. 

#2 Offline Tyrael - Posted July 7 2017 - 6:06 AM

Tyrael

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Mealworms are the larva form of Tenebrio molitor, a species of darkling beetle. I haven't been able to positively determine if they exist on your island. Your island has a tropical climate, and typically darkling beetles do not live in that environment. If they do, you would of course have to find them in the wild and capture them. You can find them in forest leaf litter, or underneath rocks and inside/under fallen logs. If your country allows importing live insects, you could try that. 

Edited by Tyrael, July 7 2017 - 6:08 AM.

#3 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted July 7 2017 - 8:23 AM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts
  • LocationDracut, Massachusetts
There are lots of mealworm sellers on Amazon.

#4 Offline souljah212 - Posted July 7 2017 - 8:36 AM

souljah212

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Thanks! I will def look into that. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users