• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

springtails and earthworms?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Offline NikolaBale - Posted July 5 2017 - 3:28 PM

NikolaBale

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

I will try to make this short and simple:

1.Where do i catch/get springtails?

2.What are the benefits of earthworms in a ant nest?

Thank you !

#2 Offline TKD102 - Posted July 6 2017 - 3:25 AM

TKD102

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • LocationIndiana, USA

I don't know where to find springtails, but I'm thinking of buying some here: http://shop.bugsincy...ails-bic446.htm

For earthworms, I would think keeping a stable population of them, would only be possible in a natural setup, and their purpose is so that the ants can hunt them.

Edited by TKD102, July 6 2017 - 3:27 AM.

Currently Keeping:

Tetramorium Immigrans

#3 Offline CNewton - Posted July 6 2017 - 4:36 AM

CNewton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • LocationBatavia, NY

Springtails are very easy to culture as they live in all the soil around you. Springtails are a pest for live worm cultures in aquaculture. Get yourself a cheap styrofoam cooler and add an inch or two of soil collected from a damp, fertile area. Organic matter = food. Add a small sprinkle of rolled oats to the top of the soil and keep it in a cool, dark place. Check it once a week, adding oats when needed. It should only take 2-3 weeks before you have a very healthy population of springtails. You will see them hopping off the oats or collecting along the sides of the styro (they will really stick out against the white). At this point, a small spoonfull of soil should be loaded with them, you can add it to your formicarium or outworld.

#4 Offline sgheaton - Posted July 6 2017 - 5:25 AM

sgheaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Found an earthworm getting .... to put it nicely..destroyed by a handful of Tetramoriums at work. Realized I could probably feed them to my colony. 

"I'm the search bar! Type questions into me and I'll search within the forums for an answer!"

#5 Offline Tyrael - Posted July 6 2017 - 11:06 AM

Tyrael

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

I would advise against feeding earthworms collected directly from your neighbourhood. Earthworms are exposed to a great deal of pesticides/herbicides/fungicides due to their lifestyle of tunnelling through soil. Many species of earthworms have a process to excrete the chemicals, but the process is slow and imperfect, and chemicals will now be in their medium again. The process requires the earthworm to devote considerable time and energy to process, thus it greatly delays their development and impairs reproductive ability. Compared to an ant, earthworms can live with relatively high toxin levels, and thus eating them may prove fatal to an ant. If you want to feed earthworms, I'd suggest you capture a bunch of them, let them breed with plenty of food, move the cocoons into a new container, discard both the parent worms and their container and then use the new culture as your breeding and feeding stock. However, consider that the earthworms may eject their gut contents while it's dying; potentially making a mess in your outworld. On the other hand, insects with soft exoskeletons or creatures with no exoskeleton leave minimal or no waste after eaten by your ants. 

Edited by Tyrael, July 6 2017 - 11:11 AM.

#6 Offline Yuki - Posted July 8 2017 - 11:11 PM

Yuki

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

To add to this, I have yet to try feeding them to ants but fish keepers like myself tend to culture smaller relatives of earthworms, such as whiteworms and grindal worms. There are plenty of sources online on keeping them, and it's a good time to pick up a starter culture online as I have found their availability to be seasonal.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users