• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Myrmica rubra not moving & dying

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Offline wigchert - Posted July 4 2017 - 10:25 AM

wigchert

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Hey all!

I've just got a colony of 100-200 Myrmica rubra (can't see the actual numbers just yet) and I'm trying to move them into a new nest (acrylic, keeping it highly humid). The colony came in a small plastic container with a lot of moss, the colony is at the bottom. My problem is that the ants are not moving into the new nest, it's been about a week now.

Normally I wouldn't be very concerned as ant keeping requires patience but I notice a that some ants are dying. Over the last week I've seen them drag ±6 dead ants around. It's my first time having a colony of this size so I'm not sure if this is a natural amount of dead ants or if something is indeed wrong.

I've been providing a constant source of sugar water which they eat plentiful and gave them fruit flies and a cricket which they also accept. Only thing I haven't been doing is keeping the moss nest humid over the past week, in order to make them move to a more humid location. Could this be the cause as I did hear that this species is sensitive to dehydration. If this is the case, how do I get them to move instead?

#2 Offline Reevak - Posted July 4 2017 - 7:16 PM

Reevak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Try a bright light (if it will even be able to shine on them) because ants tend to prefer darker nests or adding a little extra heat to the old nest (but not enough to kill them obviously). Also, make sure that your new nest is hydrated properly and dark.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users