• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Camponotus laevigatus - naked pupae

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Offline ragingbananas - Posted July 4 2017 - 3:44 PM

ragingbananas

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Locationsalt lake city, utah
Hello I have a laevigatus colony that I'm trying to start. The Queen now has one worker. I do have one concern though. Most of the pupue develop naked... without a cocoon. I have seen a total of 5 pupae. one is in a cocoon now and another is now a worker.the previous two that developed naked the queen ate. i have one naked now.

I know that for some species, naked larvae is normal but as I understand it is not normal for Camponotus. Why is so muchof my brood developing naked? am I doing something wrong?

-Don

I am a new ant keeper

Tetramorium sp e - 30 Workers

Camponotus modoc - Captured colony (6 workers and brood)

Camponotus laevigatus - 3 Workers & Brood

Camponotus essigi - 4 workers & Brood

Pogonomyrmex barbatus - founding Stage

#2 Offline Cameron C. Thomas - Posted July 4 2017 - 4:36 PM

Cameron C. Thomas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • LocationVancouver, Washington

For holometabolous insects, those that undergo complete metamorphosis, the pupal stage is the transitional part of the life cycle between larva and adult. The larvae of some holometabolous insects form cocoons and then pupate within the cocoon, but the pupa is still the transitional stage, and the cocoon protects the pupa from adverse conditions.

The process of forming the cocoon starts with attaching silken threads to nearby substrate and using that to hold the larva in place as it spins the cocoon. If the larva is unable to attach to the substrate, it will be unable to weave the cocoon, but it must pupate anyway. This makes glass a less than ideal housing in that respect; however, as long as conditions are favorable (good temperature and humidity, no mold, etc.) the pupa will still develop and eclose just fine.

That said, insect behavior is not something in which I specialize, so I don't have an answer for why she ate those pupae. I could speculate that, in nature, larvae which are unable to spin cocoons in the nest would likely have some physiological defect, so eating naked pupae may be a normal biological response so the nest can reuse those nutrients which would otherwise be wasted, but I'm not sure.

For cocoon-forming species, especially those which have trouble moving on glass, it may be helpful to put some sort of substrate in the tube for attachment or use an alternative to test tube colony founding. I'm sure others could comment on their experience with this species or Camponotus, generally.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users