• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

please help ID this queen!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Offline mravvac - Posted June 28 2017 - 10:17 AM

mravvac

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Hello everybody,
I'm new to this forum and I'm new in ant keeping in general. This year i caught lots of queens, and i was able to ID at least the genus. I caught a lots of lasius queens, few different camponotus sp and one formica queen, but today i caught something i have never seen before. I live in a small town Virovitica in Croatia, Europe, and i caught this queen on 28.6. She looks like semi claustral queen, but only semi claustrial queen that i know of (in Europe) is Myrmica rubra, and she doesn't look like that. She is one centimeter long, brown and has that extra body part in between her abdomen and mesosoma, i believe it is called petiole/postpetiole? Please help as soon as you can, Thanks!

#2 Offline mravvac - Posted June 28 2017 - 10:26 AM

mravvac

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

http://www.formicult...quests-mravvac/
I'm so sorry but for some reason I'm not allowed to upload files here, so i made an album. I hope this is okay:)

#3 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted June 28 2017 - 10:33 AM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

Polyergus rufescens queen (that would a petiole, since she is in the Formicinae subfamily and has only one. Subfamilies like Myrmicinae have two petioles, and thus a "post-petiole".)

This species is a obligate social parasite of ants from the genus Formica, and must regularly make raids on other nests in order to survive. Very interesting and beautiful ants in the wild, but they do not have much potential in captivity unless you can provide a large and constant supply of Formica pupae throughout the life of the colony. The workers of this species do nothing for the nest except raid, so in captivity it's more like keeping a Formica colony that can't sustain itself.

Edited by Batspiderfish, June 28 2017 - 10:34 AM.

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

Black lives still matter.

#4 Offline FeedTheAnts - Posted June 28 2017 - 10:33 AM

FeedTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • LocationVirginia

I think I know what your problem is with the photo uploading. From now on when wanting a photo in your post then you first put it in your gallery and then when making the post then you click the "My Media" button and find the photo you want and click on it. This is the only way it ever works for me. Here is a helpful post on the forum showing all the ways to post photos.

http://www.formicult...to-post-photos/

I accidentally froze all my ants 

#5 Offline mravvac - Posted June 28 2017 - 3:06 PM

mravvac

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Polyergus rufescens queen (that would a petiole, since she is in the Formicinae subfamily and has only one. Subfamilies like Myrmicinae have two petioles, and thus a "post-petiole".)

This species is a obligate social parasite of ants from the genus Formica, and must regularly make raids on other nests in order to survive. Very interesting and beautiful ants in the wild, but they do not have much potential in captivity unless you can provide a large and constant supply of Formica pupae throughout the life of the colony. The workers of this species do nothing for the nest except raid, so in captivity it's more like keeping a Formica colony that can't sustain itself.

Thank you so much! :) then she will be realased

I think I know what your problem is with the photo uploading. From now on when wanting a photo in your post then you first put it in your gallery and then when making the post then you click the "My Media" button and find the photo you want and click on it. This is the only way it ever works for me. Here is a helpful post on the forum showing all the ways to post photos.

http://www.formicult...to-post-photos/

thank you, i will try that ;)

#6 Offline dermy - Posted June 28 2017 - 5:08 PM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

For pictures I'd say go with a secondary website like imgur or photobucket. Copy the code given and then post it in your post. Then it will embedd into the post when you post it.

[too many "posts" in this one "post"]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users