• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Recommendation for starter colony in SoCal?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline OC-Joe - Posted June 17 2017 - 2:15 PM

OC-Joe

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Hey all, new member here. My son's and I have been reading and researching on formiculture. We haven't kept ants before and were hoping to get some advice on what species would be good for first timers to keep here in Orange County, CA? Are there some species locally that would be better suited to in indoor colony in an air conditioned house? We are hoping to find something to keep in a natural planted terrarium type of setup. Any pointers or advice?

Thanks!

Joe

#2 Offline SoySauce - Posted June 17 2017 - 2:28 PM

SoySauce

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 300 posts
  • LocationSanta Monica, CA
Hey Joe, I'm far from an expert but I would suggest a mountain species of ant, like a Camponotus Modoc, Laevigatus, Vicinus, or Clarithorax for your the environment you described. They don't need or expect a lot of heat.

#3 Offline SoySauce - Posted June 17 2017 - 2:40 PM

SoySauce

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 300 posts
  • LocationSanta Monica, CA
Another option too is to get a heating pad or cable. Then you can get pretty much any ant you want.

#4 Offline dspdrew - Posted June 17 2017 - 5:48 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Yeah, a mountain species would be best if it's going to be kept at room temperature. Keeping them in a terrarium would be really cool, and I hope to design something like that one of these days, but you would have to find a way to keep the ants from digging in places where you don't want them digging. My plan is to house one of the only two large wood-nesting Camponotus species we have here that way, since they don't live in the ground.

#5 Offline OC-Joe - Posted June 18 2017 - 2:24 PM

OC-Joe

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Thank for the recommendations! It sounds like a camponotus colony would be a good start. I can easily set up a heating pad or something like it to control temperature. I looked through the care guides but didn't see any of these. Is the one that would be more forgiving of mistakes from new ant keepers? I see several Camponotus starter colonies available on the Global Ant Nursery from someone in Santa Ana (dspdrew perhaps?).

Happy Fathers Day to all!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users