• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Camponotus? New Mexico

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Paulette - Posted June 15 2017 - 6:10 PM

Paulette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationNew Mexico, USA
Queen was found in a scrubby field, near houses.

The colony from this queen already has hundreds of workers - a very fast producer.

If you need photos with different angles on the workers, I can take more photos, as I have 2 pickled in alcohol. Tell me if there is a feature you need to see more clearly in order to ID.

The queen at the time she was captured, June 2016. She is large, 14mm.
IMG 7693 2016Q1 crop

Views of workers, photographed today:
IMG 7821 2016QW1
IMG 7818 2016QW1
IMG 7816 2016 QW1

Edited by Paulette, June 15 2017 - 6:11 PM.

#2 Offline Jonathan21700 - Posted June 17 2017 - 12:52 PM

Jonathan21700

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Liometopum?

#3 Offline Paulette - Posted June 17 2017 - 1:04 PM

Paulette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Wow, I hadn't even heard of that genus before. I'm hoping for more input, as I'm considering putting this colony into a public exhibit - it would certainly be good to know what it is!

#4 Offline Paulette - Posted June 17 2017 - 1:50 PM

Paulette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
Here is a photo of part of their setup. The brood pile is visible in one tube. I read that Liometopum apiculatum build some kind of carton-like material in their nests. Could that be what they are building here? They are creating some kind of sculptures!

brood pile and ants' construction project

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users