• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Solenopsis invicta - inside (AC) or in garage?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Saltynuts - Posted June 14 2017 - 12:48 PM

Saltynuts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

I purchased a fire any queen, and I've kept her in the AC'd house the entire time.  She seems to be doing good - laying eggs, has lots of workers now, maybe 15+.  But on another thread I saw it suggested that maybe the queen/eggs would do better in a hotter temperature.  The only other place I could keep them that would make sense is in the garage.  I've been keeping a captive queen and workers I dug up in the garage, and they seem to be doing fine.  I keep the garage door open (regular door, not the car door, which I do not want to open) to help it not get so hot.  But it routinely gets in the mid-90s here in Houston, and will sometimes go over 100 (I'm talking Fahrenheit of course).  And given the relatively low air circulation in the garage it probably get even hotter.  Will those kind of temperatures kill the ants?  Thoughts on where I should keep my ants?

Thanks!

#2 Offline Vendayn - Posted June 14 2017 - 12:56 PM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

I keep my Solenopsis invicta outside on the porch and its gotten over 80 degrees (probably hotter because they were in direct sun) and they do fine. They have a shaded part now though, that they can go to. Plus now they get additional shade from plants on the porch.

I had one Solenopsis invicta colony I kept them in the garage which would always be 70+ degrees and 85+ degrees in the summer. They grew from 1 queen+100 workers to nearly 100,000 ants in only 6 months.

Edited by Vendayn, June 14 2017 - 12:57 PM.

#3 Offline Spamdy - Posted June 14 2017 - 4:26 PM

Spamdy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas
Don't keep them in the garage, with temps in Houston going over 100 and in a garage which is hot by itself you'll fry your ants

All my colonies are dead. 

Except:

Pogonomyrmex barbatus

Pheidole obscurithorax

Pheidole morens

#4 Offline Saltynuts - Posted June 14 2017 - 7:25 PM

Saltynuts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Thanks gents!  Vendayn, you have that lovely Cali weather - over 80 degrees haha.  Wish I lived where you did!  85 in the summer is nothing, today it was 89 here when I looked and things are just getting started.  Would move to Cali if I could!

Spamdy, I hear you.  I figure even the most tropical of ants cannot handle 100+ degree weather.  Plus, my in the AC colony seems to be growing steadily, if slowly.  Going to move all my ants inside.  There is one bathroom that for some reason doesn't get a good AC flow, going to move them into the closet of that bathroom I think.  If the wife will let me hahaha.  She keeps asking me if they can escape, and I keep reassuring her, nope, no way, no chance.  I didn't mention to her that fire ants are escape artists haha.  :)   

Thanks!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users