• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

20170601 Gainesville, FL

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Offline jdsaunders1390 - Posted May 31 2017 - 8:28 PM

jdsaunders1390

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  • LocationCentral Florida

I found an alate on a brick wall in my open carport (the light was on in the carport) at 12 AM in Gainesville, FL. The area is surrounded by houses with small yards and a few trees. 

The alate is 14 mm long (my biggest yet!). She has a black gaster and red head and mesosoma. It looks like she has one node with a pretty significant spike.

IMG 3525
IMG 3523
IMG 3520

#2 Offline Martialis - Posted May 31 2017 - 8:32 PM

Martialis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Camponotus sp.

Spoiler

#3 Offline 123LordOfAnts123 - Posted June 1 2017 - 3:50 AM

123LordOfAnts123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 328 posts
  • LocationOrlando, Florida
A young alate Camponotus floridanus that shouldn't be out of the nest yet. By the end of June they should start flying in large numbers.
  • Martialis and jdsaunders1390 like this

#4 Offline jdsaunders1390 - Posted June 1 2017 - 7:47 AM

jdsaunders1390

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts
Are you saying that she likely hasn't mated yet?

#5 Offline 123LordOfAnts123 - Posted June 1 2017 - 10:52 AM

123LordOfAnts123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Are you saying that she likely hasn't mated yet?

Correct. You'll be in no hurry to collect queens once the heavy summer rains and warm 80 degree nights roll around, alates and delates are numerous around lights on buildings. Most of the winged queens I've found in these situations have proved fertile.
  • jdsaunders1390 likes this

#6 Offline jdsaunders1390 - Posted June 1 2017 - 11:08 AM

jdsaunders1390

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts
I appreciate the info! I'll keep her around just in case. Also, if a queen lays eggs, does that mean she has definitely mated? I know some animals will lay nonfertile eggs even if they have not mated. I am only curious of the best way to know for sure if a queen is mated or not.

#7 Offline Canadian anter - Posted June 1 2017 - 12:13 PM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada
If she lays eggs it's a good sign but if we get larvae it's almost a certain sign
  • dermy likes this
Visit us at www.canada-ant-colony.com !

#8 Offline 123LordOfAnts123 - Posted June 1 2017 - 1:20 PM

123LordOfAnts123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 328 posts
I've had many Camponotus queens raise larvae into males, granted I've had many Camponotus queens. It's normally apparent who's infertile, as queens rearing infertile eggs will often rear a very small brood due to the more demanding nutritional requirements of males, though this is less apparent in species whose males are smaller than workers. However, the majority of un-mated queens will simply never settle down to lay eggs, or if they do, they scatter and rarely care for them.
  • Martialis and jdsaunders1390 like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users