• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Pogonomyrmex brood boosting - Larvae or Puppae?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline RapaNui - Posted May 23 2017 - 10:28 PM

RapaNui

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Yesterday I tried to brood boost my Pogonomyrmex rugosus with some californicus puppae, but the queen discarded the puppae and placed them outside.

These puppae were starting to turn orange.

should i keep trying with younger brood, larvae? or early puppae?

Or give up ?

What are your experiences on this?

Thank you,

Best regards,

#2 Offline AntPerson - Posted April 11 2018 - 4:16 PM

AntPerson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

give up, it won't work, there different

#3 Offline YsTheAnt - Posted April 11 2018 - 4:32 PM

YsTheAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
They are different subgenuses, I believe. If they were in the same subgenus, it would work, such as Camponotus pennsylvanicus and modoc, but not between subgenuses.

Instagram          Journal           Shop

#4 Offline CallMeCraven - Posted April 12 2018 - 7:56 AM

CallMeCraven

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
  • LocationElko, NV

They are different subgenuses, I believe. If they were in the same subgenus, it would work, such as Camponotus pennsylvanicus and modoc, but not between subgenuses.

Sorry this really triggered me this morning :facepalm:. The Pogonomyrmex ants referred to are different species... not subgenuses. Scientific names are typically just broken down into Genus, which is a rough categorization of similar organisms, followed by the specific epithet, or species name, which identifies a singular species within that genus. Sometimes subspecies are identified, which results in a third name following the specific epithet, Artemisia tridentata tridentata for example. While subgenuses are a thing, they are typically omitted, unless there is a very specific reason for needing it. If subgenuses are included in a name, they appear in parenthesis after the genus, Nereis (Hediste) diversicolor for example. Typically, subgenuses are used by taxonomists to further divide a genus which has many different species associated with it to help keep track of different affinities. That being said, I do not believe there is a subgenus associated with Pogonomyrmex, especially since we can't specifically identify which population RapaNui's ants came from. Again, sorry for this diversion of the conversation.

https://en.wikipedia..._name_(zoology)

http://www.annelida....otax-tutor.html

To the question of the thread, I would keep trying with different pupae and larvae. I know some species of Formica will accept larvae/pupae from other species within their genus. It is likely you just offered pupae that were to mature for your P. rugosus queen's liking. If you have the brood available, you might as well keep trying. The best case is you successfully boost your colony, the worst case is you are out some brood. Make sure to keep coming back and telling us your progress cause I am sure there are others who are interested in your results  :D .

Current Colony:

4x Camponotus (hyatti?)

Harmony with land is like harmony with a friend; you cannot cherish his right hand and chop off his left.

-Aldo Leopold

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users