• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

The Problem

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Offline PTAntFan - Posted May 14 2017 - 11:13 PM

PTAntFan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
  • LocationBurbank, CA

Looking for suggestions. Aside from don't get into the situation in the first place, anyone have ideas?  See video for issue.

https://1drv.ms/v/s!...fbmGeU1qN02eZGw

• ctantkeeper likes this
PTAntFan----------------------------------Pogonomyrmex Californicus*****************************<p>I use the $3 Tower I made up. See it here.

#2 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted May 15 2017 - 8:12 AM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

That's a wild story!

Perhaps it would be a good idea to place the nest in a larger foraging arena, attached to a desirable habitat for them (perhaps even just an aquarium full of dirt). You can dump all of the foraging ants directly inside (or on a plate/tray to reduce some of the mess).

Also, consider adding more information to the title or description. :P

• PTAntFan and Martialis like this

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

Black lives still matter.

#3 Offline drtrmiller - Posted May 15 2017 - 8:32 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts
Place a 40 to 60 watt heat lamp above the setup, connect the setup to the desired nest, and wait for the old one to dry out so they move where you prefer.

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#4 Offline sgheaton - Posted May 15 2017 - 8:42 AM

sgheaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Am I the only one that is wondering what happened to the two Pogonomyrmex queens? I didn't hear if there was mention to what happened to them.

"I'm the search bar! Type questions into me and I'll search within the forums for an answer!"

#5 Offline PTAntFan - Posted May 15 2017 - 1:26 PM

PTAntFan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
  • LocationBurbank, CA

Am I the only one that is wondering what happened to the two Pogonomyrmex queens? I didn't hear if there was mention to what happened to them.

Are Pogonomyrmex and S. Xyloni co-habitable?  Assumed they got eaten, bro.

PTAntFan----------------------------------Pogonomyrmex Californicus*****************************<p>I use the $3 Tower I made up. See it here.

#6 Offline PTAntFan - Posted May 15 2017 - 1:28 PM

PTAntFan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
  • LocationBurbank, CA

That's a wild story!

Perhaps it would be a good idea to place the nest in a larger foraging arena, attached to a desirable habitat for them (perhaps even just an aquarium full of dirt). You can dump all of the foraging ants directly inside (or on a plate/tray to reduce some of the mess).

Also, consider adding more information to the title or description. :P

This is a possibility, but I'm not quite ready to give up on visibility.

Place a 40 to 60 watt heat lamp above the setup, connect the setup to the desired nest, and wait for the old one to dry out so they move where you prefer.

That's the general idea, but the problem is how to connect the current setup to a new one, without inviting further escapes.

#7 Offline Kevin - Posted May 15 2017 - 4:40 PM

Kevin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  • LocationSouth Jersey

Put the tube hanging into the foraging area and coat the tube in fluon so they can't crawl up.

• PTAntFan likes this

Hit "Like This" if it helped.

#8 Offline sgheaton - Posted May 15 2017 - 4:54 PM

sgheaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Darnet I'm freaggin' eattin' dinner thinking about this crap...

No one is asking the most important question of all: How the heck did you post a link to the onedrive video?

"I'm the search bar! Type questions into me and I'll search within the forums for an answer!"

#9 Offline Herdo - Posted May 15 2017 - 5:11 PM

Herdo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • LocationGlendale, Arizona

No one is asking the most important question of all: How the heck did you post a link to the onedrive video?

Actually the most important question of all is, why are you using OneDrive? :D I kid.

I agree with Kevin. Use a smooth piece of tubing and coat it in fluon/baby powder. I'd test it first, and even then you'd probably want to supervise the whole thing.

#10 Offline sgheaton - Posted May 15 2017 - 5:24 PM

sgheaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Actually the most important question of all is, why are you using OneDrive? :D I kid.

I don't know how to post videos and I hate youtube so OneDrive is magic to me. 

#11 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted May 15 2017 - 5:48 PM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

The foraging arena doesn't have to be filed with dirt, but if you wanna attach a formicarium to it and just place the whole fire ant colony inside of that, they will move into the better nest.

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

Black lives still matter.

#12 Offline klawfran3 - Posted May 15 2017 - 7:12 PM

klawfran3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts

so I remember I saw this documentary where they had ants walking along ropes and stuff, perhaps you could do that with yours. Have a rope laying in the dirt of the current setup and have the other end hanging above the one you want them to go into, and then let them move it. I know a lot of people here are suggesting vinyl tubing too which could work.

good luck, that's a real predicament.

• PTAntFan likes this

This message brought to you by the Committee for the Education of Folks who Describe Arthropod Taxa as 'Not Interesting' (CEFDATNI)

#13 Offline Winston - Posted May 15 2017 - 7:31 PM

Winston

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey, United States

That is an interesting situation you have there, any suggestions I had were already said so go with those I guess, good luck with that. Be careful!

#14 Offline PTAntFan - Posted May 15 2017 - 8:42 PM

PTAntFan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
  • LocationBurbank, CA

It's pretty straight forward actually.  In OD just go to the file in question and choose share, there will be an option to GET A LINK.  That's it.  I also run the OD app on my iPhone so I just upload to OD directly from there.

#15 Offline sgheaton - Posted May 16 2017 - 5:18 AM

sgheaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

It's pretty straight forward actually.  In OD just go to the file in question and choose share, there will be an option to GET A LINK.  That's it.  I also run the OD app on my iPhone so I just upload to OD directly from there.

Thanks! I'll give it a go ... soonish!

#16 Offline PTAntFan - Posted May 16 2017 - 2:12 PM

PTAntFan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
  • LocationBurbank, CA

UPDATE

The connection has been made and seems stable, however, I think this process is going to take a LONG time.  In reviewing their progress today I noticed there IS some moisture in the tower still.

Here are some videos for your viewing pleasure:

https://1drv.ms/f/s!...gqUjEVZKTGFsJ1w

#17 Offline PTAntFan - Posted May 16 2017 - 3:23 PM

PTAntFan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
  • LocationBurbank, CA

I was thinking about adding some heat to the new nest.  Thoughts?

#18 Offline PTAntFan - Posted May 18 2017 - 8:44 AM

PTAntFan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
  • LocationBurbank, CA

<sigh>  Silly ants got %75 moved yesterday and then moved %100 back overnight.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users