• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

super_oil's Colobopsis impressa Journal

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline super_oil - Posted May 13 2017 - 9:15 PM

super_oil

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • LocationJacksonville, Florida

5/10/17. I caught four Colobopsis queens at night using a black light. I thought they were Dorymyrmex queens at first. After three days all but one queen shed her wings and laid eggs. I did not want to disturb her so I did not take a picture.

Q3fX3Yc.jpg

Just a little boy that likes ants. I try my best to be mature and competent.

My Colonies

Camponotus floridanus

Crematogaster pinicola

#2 Offline 123LordOfAnts123 - Posted May 14 2017 - 7:58 AM

123LordOfAnts123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 328 posts
  • LocationOrlando, Florida
Nice find. They're probably one of the more common visitors to light traps here in Florida at this time.

In my experience the founding queens can be rather finicky in accepting test tubes. Almost all of the ones I've captured and kept in standard tubes never shed their wings and would take a long time of settling in before laying eggs, if at all. I've had the best luck using 5mm glass tubes which better mimics their ecology. Their first batch is usually only 4-5 eggs. They have one of the strangest eggs of any ant here. Large relative to body size, and extremely elongated.
  • super_oil likes this

#3 Offline super_oil - Posted May 28 2017 - 8:03 AM

super_oil

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • LocationJacksonville, Florida

Nice find. They're probably one of the more common visitors to light traps here in Florida at this time.

In my experience the founding queens can be rather finicky in accepting test tubes. Almost all of the ones I've captured and kept in standard tubes never shed their wings and would take a long time of settling in before laying eggs, if at all. I've had the best luck using 5mm glass tubes which better mimics their ecology. Their first batch is usually only 4-5 eggs. They have one of the strangest eggs of any ant here. Large relative to body size, and extremely elongated.

May I ask where you bought those 5mm test tubes?

Just a little boy that likes ants. I try my best to be mature and competent.

My Colonies

Camponotus floridanus

Crematogaster pinicola

#4 Offline 123LordOfAnts123 - Posted May 28 2017 - 8:12 AM

123LordOfAnts123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 328 posts
  • LocationOrlando, Florida
https://www.avogadro...NvXKGgLcufD_BwE

I use a glass tubing cutter which they also sell to cut them to preferred lengths.

#5 Offline VoidElecent - Posted June 30 2017 - 3:01 PM

VoidElecent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA.

Update? :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users