• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

NE/MA Anting: 5/15-5/19

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Offline VoidElecent - Posted May 13 2017 - 6:28 PM

VoidElecent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA.

Whether you plan on catching queens or not, this week is going to be action-packed. If you live in the Northeast or Mid-Atlantic regions of the US, I think it'd be a good idea to record & publish specific and detailed information about any activity you observe in the coming week. Whether it pertains to the timings & conditions of nuptial flights, or simply just a certain species' foraging behaviour, it would be very helpful to keep a generally condensed list of data for future anting.

Being one of the first considerably warm weeks of 2017, this will (presumably) be the time when many colonies start to fly, and other begin to forage heavily. I, in particular am looking forward to (hopefully) experiencing Nylanderia spp.Camponotus spp.Tapinoma sessile, and maybe even Stenamma spp. nuptial flights. On top of these, I'll also be on the look-out for heavily foraging colonies in my backyard and neighborhood, so I can get a better feel of what species prefer what temperatures and conditions. Who knows, I may discover a species I had never knew existed in my yard!

Drew's Mating Chart is wonderful, but really only publishes a fraction of the information some people are capable of sharing; hopefully this thread will provide some incentive to share info about ant activity in your area. Maybe if we can get a solid database for at least a couple days, we'll get to the point where we can use others' information to strengthen out understanding of species in our own areas.

In case you haven't checked your local area weather recently, here's a little preview. These are just some locations I chose randomly, nowhere in particular :P). I know I, for one, am going to spend most of my energy anting on Thursday, which will supposedly reach 92° F in Philly!

IMG_3045_zpstqw54cdt.pngIMG_3047_zpsabhgkmj3.pngIMG_3046_zps2csuihme.pngIMG_3048_zpsgldz42nd.png

Goof Luck all, I have faith in you!

Edited by VoidElecent, May 13 2017 - 6:31 PM.

• Kevin likes this

#2 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted May 14 2017 - 5:54 AM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts
  • LocationDracut, Massachusetts

We already have a very active thread for those of us in New England, the Massachusetts Anting Thread:)

We only expect the Myrmentoma-subgenus Camponotus to fly this week.

#3 Offline Kevin - Posted May 14 2017 - 6:49 AM

Kevin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  • LocationSouth Jersey

Oh yeah, I saw that. Poured all day yesterday and it's going up to the 90s this week. I think flights will finally start here.

It's raining queens.

Hit "Like This" if it helped.

#4 Offline VoidElecent - Posted May 14 2017 - 6:52 AM

VoidElecent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA.

We already have a very active thread for those of us in New England, the Massachusetts Anting Thread:)

Really? Why not other species like C. pennsylvanicus or C. chromaiodes?

#5 Offline noebl1 - Posted May 14 2017 - 7:16 AM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
  • LocationNorthern Massachusetts

Just speculation based on last season, but obviously based on other factors, not 100%.  Last season the Myrmentoma were flying first in mid-May once it hit 80F, but the larger Camponotus didn't have their big flight until closer to end of the month.  I need to look at my notes again, but I think C. pennsylvanicus flew in small numbers before the larger flight, so it's not impossible to see them.  May 28th last year was the *huge* Camponotus flight that encompassed pretty much the entire north east at the same time and most common species of Camponotus were observed here; C. pennsylvanicus,  Camponotus Myrmentoma, C.novaeboracensis.   There were two suspect C. americanus queens, but got away before I could catch to positive ID them.  They were flying from late afternoon until 10-11pm at night.  

Edited by noebl1, May 14 2017 - 7:21 AM.

• Nathant2131 and Cindy like this

#6 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted May 14 2017 - 7:16 AM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts
  • LocationDracut, Massachusetts

They fly earlier than the Camponotus subgenus.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users