• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Soldier caste?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Offline NikolaBale - Posted May 12 2017 - 1:55 AM

NikolaBale

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
As you all know there is :minor,medium and major/super majors what is considered as a solider ? I've been researching it and all its sais that a solider ant cast is considered a ant when his head is in proportion large compared to his body.I've considered this and for example messor capitatus has a head as descripted but its not considered as a solider or some other ant species.So...what is considered as a solider ?

Thank you !

#2 Offline CozmoDog - Posted May 12 2017 - 3:50 AM

CozmoDog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • LocationGreece, Rhodes

I am not an expert but from what I have read soldier caste is only present in some ant species, while many species have major/super major workers and that's what they are bigger workers that in most case handle more dfficult tasks that other smaller workers can not, an example would have to be leaf cutters, the bigger majors will cut harder and bigger leaves than the smaller ants. I think a soldier caste would be present in most soldier ant species. that's what I know but wait for someone more experienced to tell you,

Edited by CozmoDog, May 12 2017 - 3:51 AM.

#3 Offline Barristan - Posted May 12 2017 - 3:50 AM

Barristan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts
  • LocationBindlach, Bavaria, Germany

Hi,

I think there isn't a scientific definition what a soldier is. In German forums this definition is also quite common: "An ant species has a soldier caste if it has minor and major workers but no media" However this would mean that Atta doesn't have soldiers but I read a lot in English forums and on websites about Atta soldiers.

Probably the best thing would be to always say Major-workers you can't be wrong with that. 

A lot of soldiers don't act actually like soldiers they mainly store food for the colony (Pheidole sp. etc.)

Edited by Barristan, May 12 2017 - 3:51 AM.

#4 Offline Socalfireants - Posted May 12 2017 - 6:06 AM

Socalfireants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

I hate the term "soldiers". Most are really nothing of the type, like Barristan said. 

• Martialis likes this

#5 Offline Bracchymyrmex - Posted May 12 2017 - 6:15 AM

Bracchymyrmex

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, Pennsylvania

As you all know there is :minor,medium and major/super majors what is considered as a solider ? I've been researching it and all its sais that a solider ant cast is considered a ant when his head is in proportion large compared to his body.I've considered this and for example messor capitatus has a head as descripted but its not considered as a solider or some other ant species.So...what is considered as a solider ?

Thank you !

I believe you meant soldier not solider, and they are only workers, no soldiers. Second of all, worker ants are infertile females so you cannot refer to them as "his" or "he". Lastly, this is extraordinarily vague and confusing I have no idea what you are talking about as there is no such thing as a "soldier". Major workers and super majors have stronger mandibles and are used for cutting or carrying large objects, but they are not the only ants that fight, minor workers also participate in wars.

• Martialis likes this

#6 Offline Barristan - Posted May 12 2017 - 7:44 AM

Barristan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts
  • LocationBindlach, Bavaria, Germany

The term soldier is quite often used even in scientific papers about ants: https://scholar.goog...ldier&btnG=&lr=

#7 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted May 12 2017 - 8:29 AM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

Soldier can be used interchangeably with major, even though the value of most (dimorphic/polymorphic) major castes goes beyond simple defense. It's more of an anthropomorphization (using human concepts to attempt to explain natural phenomena) which has been adopted to our common ant vocabulary. Many ants, evolved specifically for fighting or raiding, are monomorphic, although they are not referred to as soldiers.

Edited by Batspiderfish, May 12 2017 - 9:57 AM.

• Martialis and Nathant2131 like this

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

Black lives still matter.

#8 Offline NikolaBale - Posted May 12 2017 - 3:25 PM

NikolaBale

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Thank you !

I believe you meant soldier not solider, and they are only workers, no soldiers. Second of all, worker ants are infertile females so you cannot refer to them as "his" or "he". Lastly, this is extraordinarily vague and confusing I have no idea what you are talking about as there is no such thing as a "soldier". Major workers and super majors have stronger mandibles and are used for cutting or carrying large objects, but they are not the only ants that fight, minor workers also participate in wars.

#9 Offline Socalfireants - Posted May 15 2017 - 7:05 AM

Socalfireants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

The common world likes using parallels to humans with ants. Ie: Nurse ants, soldiers, queens, workers, 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users