• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

May 11, 2017 Dealate: Gainesville, FL

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Offline jdsaunders1390 - Posted May 11 2017 - 1:01 PM

jdsaunders1390

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  • LocationCentral Florida

Found a dealate at 4:30 pm two feet up from the ground, on a vertical brick wall outside of the house in Gainesville, FL. The area is surrounded by houses with small yards and a few trees. She is missing her left hind limb and is 10-11 mm long. I assume she is a semi-claustral species. Does anyone have any advice on keeping these?

IMG 3188
Album: 20170511 Dealate
3 images
0 comments

#2 Offline VoidElecent - Posted May 11 2017 - 1:12 PM

VoidElecent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA.

Looks like Pseudomyrmex gracilis to me, but I could be wrong. I know for a fact that this is Pseudomyrmex, but you may have to dig a little deeper to determine the exact species.

Edited by VoidElecent, May 11 2017 - 1:12 PM.

• jdsaunders1390 likes this

#3 Offline Aaron567 - Posted May 11 2017 - 8:35 PM

Aaron567

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts
  • LocationPensacola, FL

Definitely a Pseudomyrmex gracilis queen. Nice find. I haven't found one of these yet this year, since where I live they fly more in the summer.

• T.C. and jdsaunders1390 like this

#4 Offline AntswerMe - Posted May 13 2017 - 7:58 PM

AntswerMe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • LocationJacksonville, Florida, United States of America
Noice.

Cool ant you got. They are semi-claustral from personal experience. I almost got one of these my self today but it flew off when it saw me coming close. 😂

Edited by AntswerMe, May 13 2017 - 7:58 PM.

#5 Offline jdsaunders1390 - Posted May 14 2017 - 6:01 AM

jdsaunders1390

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  • LocationCentral Florida
I put a drop of honey and two dead ants in with her yesterday. She immediately started drinking the honey.

#6 Offline 123LordOfAnts123 - Posted May 14 2017 - 7:43 AM

123LordOfAnts123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 328 posts
  • LocationOrlando, Florida
If you have access to dead vines where workers are spotted, colonies are incredibly easy to capture. Simply snap and shake.

#7 Offline AntswerMe - Posted May 14 2017 - 9:47 AM

AntswerMe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
Snap and *shake*?

#8 Offline 123LordOfAnts123 - Posted May 14 2017 - 11:25 AM

123LordOfAnts123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 328 posts
  • LocationOrlando, Florida
They live within dead hollow vines, with a diameter anywhere between 5-10mm, either ones bored by insects or by removing the pith themselves. The vines are normally extremely easy to break, and the brood pours out with a view shakes. The ants themselves jump ship; I've never been stung by one protecting it's nest. Sometimes it's a satellite nest, but often the entire colony resides within 6-12 inches of hollow vine.

Without dead vines they'll nest within cracks of fence posts, gaps in buildings, or holes in hardwood branches burrowed by other insects. In such cases they're much less accessible.

Edited by 123Lord Of Ants123, May 14 2017 - 11:28 AM.

#9 Offline AntswerMe - Posted May 15 2017 - 7:30 PM

AntswerMe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
Cool. I will search for a colony and try that.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users