• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Moving a Colony

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Offline ThePygmyMammoth - Posted May 10 2017 - 6:07 PM

ThePygmyMammoth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationEncinitas, California
I have a young colony of Veromessor Pergandei and I think they're ready to move. However they are in a small starter formicarium with no place to connect tubing and the ants can't easily scale the walls. Does anyone have suggestions as to how to move them?

#2 Offline Bracchymyrmex - Posted May 10 2017 - 7:29 PM

Bracchymyrmex

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, Pennsylvania

Could you provide some more information about the formicarium and colony (How big is their formicarium? Approximately how many workers are there?) Pictures could also be useful. People on this forum love to help, but they can't if you provide such a small amount of information.

#3 Offline ThePygmyMammoth - Posted May 10 2017 - 7:42 PM

ThePygmyMammoth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
Unfortunately any time I try posting a picture, it tells me that I don't have permission to do so. If it helps, I would like to move them into an Ants Canada Omnibest. The starter formicarium is a small acrylic box with a small nest chamber at the center. Both the nest chamber and overall starter formicarium have removable lids. The colony has about 14 workers and a good sized brood pile.

#4 Offline ThePygmyMammoth - Posted May 10 2017 - 7:46 PM

ThePygmyMammoth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
Omninest not omnibest. The omninest is also attached to a smallish outworld.

#5 Offline Flubby100 - Posted May 10 2017 - 8:30 PM

Flubby100

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationTorrance, California
If you have the omni nest small, it will not fit in the outworld. No hole at all even at the lid part?

#6 Offline ThePygmyMammoth - Posted May 10 2017 - 9:27 PM

ThePygmyMammoth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
There is a hole in the lid, but the workers struggle to climb the walls and I doubt that they'd be able to get the queen and brood up them. It is an omninest large, but the formicarium won't fit in the outworld

#7 Offline Kevin - Posted May 11 2017 - 2:43 AM

Kevin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  • LocationSouth Jersey
Drill a hole into the starter nest and connect the tubing that way. Also, I couldn't recommend the omninest less, might want to think twice about using it.

Hit "Like This" if it helped.

#8 Offline Kevin - Posted May 11 2017 - 2:43 AM

Kevin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  • LocationSouth Jersey
Double posted, snip.

Edited by Kevin, May 11 2017 - 2:44 AM.

Hit "Like This" if it helped.

#9 Offline Jelly - Posted May 11 2017 - 3:44 PM

Jelly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

I have the same formicarium you do. Just drain the water, place it in the out world, then remove the lid.

If you still have trouble with them climbing the walls just build a ramp out of cardboard or something.

#10 Offline ThePygmyMammoth - Posted May 11 2017 - 4:33 PM

ThePygmyMammoth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
I thought about that but it doesn't fit in the outworld I have
Maybe I'll buy a larger one

#11 Offline iXvXi - Posted May 11 2017 - 4:49 PM

iXvXi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
Maybe gently tilt the formicarium on its side. It's pretty tough trying to visualize without pictures unfortunately to suggest a viable solution.

Best of luck!

#12 Offline ThePygmyMammoth - Posted May 12 2017 - 5:28 PM

ThePygmyMammoth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
Thanks for the advice, my plan now is to temporarily use a large tupperware container as an outworld and I'll put the formicarium in that, then once the colony moves into the new nest, I'll switch to the permanent outworld
  • Jelly likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users