• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

What can I use as a hydrostone mold?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Offline zlez93 - Posted May 6 2017 - 6:24 AM

zlez93

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Since I've heard hydrostone expands I'm not sure what to use as a mold. I lack a lot of materials and tools so I was thinking of cutting up a cardboard box and using that. <-- has anyone tried that?

#2 Offline Kevin - Posted May 6 2017 - 7:01 AM

Kevin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  • LocationSouth Jersey

Silicone is good for molds, and if you just want a box use some 2x4s or other lumber that suits your dimension. It will mostly expand up because of the wood's resistance, and you can sand down or lathe the brick after.

Hit "Like This" if it helped.

#3 Offline zlez93 - Posted May 6 2017 - 7:18 AM

zlez93

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Silicone is good for molds, and if you just want a box use some 2x4s or other lumber that suits your dimension. It will mostly expand up because of the wood's resistance, and you can sand down or lathe the brick after.

Silicone is out of the question really as I don't have any and don't know where to get some. As for timber, wouldn't it still crack if it wasn't expanding horizontally?

If that isn't the case I might just sacrifice a container and split it in two and use that. I was really hoping cardboard would work

#4 Offline theAboriginal - Posted May 6 2017 - 10:48 AM

theAboriginal

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

you still might be able to use the card bored as your mold just have to pack enough weight around the sides and tops like maybe you have bricks or something I would plastic wrap the card board so it doesn't stick lol just know the shape you end up with might not be...

#5 Offline zlez93 - Posted May 6 2017 - 2:06 PM

zlez93

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

I'd probably glue the cardboard together wouldn't bother putting weights around it.

#6 Offline Jelly - Posted May 6 2017 - 4:55 PM

Jelly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
If you use cardboard it will flex due to the weight of the hydro stone. That's going to warp your formicarium.

#7 Offline zlez93 - Posted May 6 2017 - 5:15 PM

zlez93

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

If you use cardboard it will flex due to the weight of the hydro stone. That's going to warp your formicarium.

Ah. Well that's out of the question then. Do you know if hydrostone will crack if I used a hard mold like plastic container or timber?

#8 Offline zlez93 - Posted May 7 2017 - 3:56 PM

zlez93

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

bump

#9 Offline Kevin - Posted May 7 2017 - 5:32 PM

Kevin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  • LocationSouth Jersey

If you screw 2x4's together in the form of a box and a plank on the bottom, the hydrostone will rise a few mm upwards. It doesn't expand much at all, and you will not have an issue with thick wood.

• zlez93 likes this

Hit "Like This" if it helped.

#10 Offline PTAntFan - Posted May 10 2017 - 7:05 AM

PTAntFan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
  • LocationBurbank, CA
I just did this with 1x4s. Best use of my time in a while. I made 4 L-shaped pieces and use clamps to create an adjustable mold like this: http://www.makeyouro...just-a-mold-box

I love it.
PTAntFan----------------------------------Pogonomyrmex Californicus*****************************<p>I use the $3 Tower I made up. See it here.

#11 Offline dspdrew - Posted May 10 2017 - 7:25 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Generally with casting, you should use soft flexible molds for anything that cures hard, and vice versa. Why can't you buy casting silicone? The proper materials will always give the best results.

#12 Offline zlez93 - Posted May 10 2017 - 10:06 AM

zlez93

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Generally with casting, you should use soft flexible molds for anything that cures hard, and vice versa. Why can't you buy casting silicone? The proper materials will always give the best results.

It costs upwards of £15 here, and I can't justify spending that much just to make a box when I can purchase a nest for cheaper. 

Would a flexible plastic food container work?

Edited by zlez93, May 10 2017 - 10:07 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users