• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Lasius? Nylanderia? Queen ID, Pensacola FL

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Aaron567 - Posted May 1 2017 - 4:56 PM

Aaron567

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts
  • LocationPensacola, FL

Checked the pool today and found some Pheidole queens, along with this unknown queen that I haven't seen since last year.

Size: 6mm

Her wings have a partly black tint to them. She may be infertile but I'm gonna keep her just in case.

There are Nylanderia (That's what I think they are) colonies in the woods behind my house which is why I think Nylanderia is a possibility. But, I don't think the head shape really looks like it.

She looks kinda like Lasius but I've never seen a Lasius colony or queen before. 

IMG_9718_zpsawm7l0f0.jpgIMG_9724_zps5lhy030r.jpgIMG_9734_zps3vlgs1pt.jpgIMG_9735_zpsy5axrjal.jpgIMG_9743_zpsmeuvca3z.jpg

#2 Offline AnthonyP163 - Posted May 1 2017 - 5:20 PM

AnthonyP163

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
  • LocationWaukesha, Wisconsin.

Looks like a Lasius Social Parasite to me. Not sure what species, I usually don't bother with them.

Ant Keeping & Ethology Discord - 2000+ Members and growing

Statesideants.com - order live ants legally in the US

#3 Offline VoidElecent - Posted May 1 2017 - 5:21 PM

VoidElecent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA.

I think you are absolutely right, this queen reminds me very much of a Lasius interjectus queen. These are social parasites, so you may want to read up on it here.

#4 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted May 2 2017 - 2:37 AM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts
  • LocationDracut, Massachusetts
It looks like Lasius interjectus but the dark coloring is really throwing me off. The Lasius Parasites CAN vary quite a lot in color though, so interjectus is quite possible. There are quite a few theories on how this species-group changes in color so much.

#5 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted May 2 2017 - 4:59 AM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

Wow! This is actually Lasius umbratus (or a close, undescribed relative). I's very rare to see them fly at this time of the year -- could be a trait of the Florida populations.

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

Black lives still matter.

#6 Offline Bracchymyrmex - Posted May 2 2017 - 7:44 AM

Bracchymyrmex

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, Pennsylvania

Doubt it flew recently, probably overwintered.

#7 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted May 2 2017 - 8:37 AM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

If she has wings, she probably did fly recently.

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

#8 Offline Aaron567 - Posted May 2 2017 - 1:37 PM

Aaron567

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts
  • LocationPensacola, FL

Doubt it flew recently, probably overwintered.

She definitely just flew. I found her in the pool. Also just found another one in the pool dead a few minutes ago. This is the time of the year where lots of species (Pheidole, Camponotus, Brachymyrmex) start having their flights.

#9 Offline Aaron567 - Posted May 2 2017 - 1:41 PM

Aaron567

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts
  • LocationPensacola, FL

Wow! This is actually Lasius umbratus (or a close, undescribed relative). I's very rare to see them fly at this time of the year -- could be a trait of the Florida populations.

I have seen several species this year flying a lot earlier than online sources say they do. I found my Camponotus floridanus queen in February. It's pretty interesting  :)

#10 Offline Spamdy - Posted May 2 2017 - 3:03 PM

Spamdy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Aaron, do you hibernate your ants, we both live near the equator and was curious if you do. I live in Houston Texas.

All my colonies are dead. 

Except:

Pogonomyrmex barbatus

Pheidole obscurithorax

Pheidole morens

#11 Offline Aaron567 - Posted May 2 2017 - 3:21 PM

Aaron567

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts
  • LocationPensacola, FL

Aaron, do you hibernate your ants, we both live near the equator and was curious if you do. I live in Houston Texas.

I've only been keeping ants for a year, but this past winter I did not hibernate any of mine. I only have five colonies at the moment, and I don't think any of the species I have absolutely need to hibernate. There are some ants in my area that do need hibernation, so if I get colonies of those then I will hibernate them.

#12 Offline VoidElecent - Posted May 2 2017 - 5:08 PM

VoidElecent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA.

How do you know it's L. umbratus? I'm not questioning your methods (you know, being the king of all things Lasius-related, and all), but I am curious to see how you ruled out L. interjectus and L. claviger.

#13 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted May 2 2017 - 5:18 PM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

How do you know it's L. umbratus? I'm not questioning your methods (you know, being the king of all things Lasius-related, and all), but I am curious to see how you ruled out L. interjectus and L. claviger.

Both of those species, and all members of the Acanthomyops subgenus, are covered in many long hairs. Lasius umbratus is covered in fine, appressed pubescence.

----

#14 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted May 3 2017 - 2:46 AM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts
  • LocationDracut, Massachusetts

Interesting!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users