• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Unknown home species

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Artyz09 - Posted May 1 2017 - 3:07 PM

Artyz09

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Syracuse Ny
Date of picture: 5/1/17

I'm not sure the size of it and I don't know much about ants.

But I'm really nervous it's a carpenter ant.

We live in a really low area and I'm thinking this house has some wood rot to it, and they may making nests in here.

Someone help me identify this bad boy

https://imgur.com/gallery/cw8sU

#2 Offline T.C. - Posted May 1 2017 - 3:20 PM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,065 posts
Camponotous species, also known as carpenter ant! Sorry man. They don't cause as much damage as you alot of people think though. Got them in our walls too and really the only issue is them getting in my food, clothes, and surrounding the toilet at 3 in the morning.

Edited by T.C., May 1 2017 - 3:24 PM.

• Martialis likes this
“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

#3 Offline Martialis - Posted May 1 2017 - 3:20 PM

Martialis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts
  • LocationMississippi

How long? 

This is Camponotus

As long as your house doesn't have rot, you don't have to worry; these girls only take advantage of wood to nest and don't eat it like termites do.

• T.C. and Nathant2131 like this
Spoiler

#4 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted May 1 2017 - 3:23 PM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts
  • LocationDracut, Massachusetts
Camponotus pennsylvanicus. It is a common misconception that "Carpenter ants" nest in homes. This is only a satellite nest if the house is infested at all.

As long as they are not bothering you, no long term damage will be done.

Edited by Nathant2131, May 1 2017 - 3:35 PM.

• Martialis likes this

#5 Offline Salmon - Posted May 1 2017 - 3:26 PM

Salmon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • LocationMass, USA
I wouldn't worry too much unless you're seeing huge numbers of ants. Carpenter ants frequently forage in houses they aren't necessarily nesting in, and it takes a large colony to cause actual damage.

#6 Offline Martialis - Posted May 1 2017 - 3:33 PM

Martialis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Camponotus pennsylvanicus. It is a common misconception that ants nest in homes. This is only a satellite nest if the house is infested at all.

As long as they are not bothering you, no long term damage will be done.

They do nest, just not this genus, I believe.

• Nathant2131 likes this
Spoiler

#7 Offline Artyz09 - Posted May 1 2017 - 4:41 PM

Artyz09

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I'm thinking it might be a big colony. I saw a lot of ants in our kitchen that size. So I sprayed the foundation of our house with ant spray from Home Depot, and I put down boric acid traps for them that they destroyed. I haven't seen as much. But I saw that one today... ☹️ Nervous because we just bought this house 3 months ago, and our neighbor did say there was flooding in the basement. So maybe some rot is present. I will be doing some digging around now that it's spring time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users