• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

An idea from an unlikely source...

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Offline ctantkeeper - Posted May 1 2017 - 6:00 AM

ctantkeeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • LocationCT

So today while I was on Facebook, I stumbled upon a Facebook page that was advertising these small magnetic, plastic build block known as PIXIO. They seem to be in the same vain as Lego and consist of a plastic out casing with a magnetic interior. You can probably use these plastic building blocks to make a decent modular formicarium. Simply build the floor and walls of your changers by attaching these building blocks to one another, then pour some grout or dental plaster in to serve as a hydration medium / for added texture. Then attach a glass slide with 4 plastic building blocks. You can then create an out world in a similar fashion with higher walls. You can even attach these "nest modules" seamlessly through magnetic attachment. Creating a hydration system for a setup like this seems to be the only challenge I can possibly foresee. It seems like a neat idea. Maybe you guys can try this for yourselves if you are inclined to and maybe someday, stores will partner with them.

• Martialis likes this

#2 Offline ctantkeeper - Posted May 1 2017 - 6:03 AM

ctantkeeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • LocationCT

Here's a link to the kick starter : https://www.kickstar...the-pixel-art-s

P.S. Magnetic building blocks are nothing new and you can buy them much cheaper than this, but they often don't have the outer plastic shell.

Here is a somewhat similar product : http://www.ebay.com/...8wAAOSwLEtYgBSY

Edited by ctantkeeper, May 1 2017 - 6:11 AM.

#3 Offline Martialis - Posted May 1 2017 - 6:12 AM

Martialis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Interesting idea. How would one keep them from coming apart? What would make them function better than a traditional acrylic one?

Spoiler

#4 Offline ctantkeeper - Posted May 1 2017 - 6:21 AM

ctantkeeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • LocationCT

Interesting idea. How would one keep them from coming apart? What would make them function better than a traditional acrylic one?

Well, they're magnetic. And not only that, they consist of neodymium rare earth magnets, which are incredibly strong. The grout base plate would also keep it stable. There are also tons of reasons for why this would be better than an acrylic setup. First off, the setup would be endlessly customizable and thanks to it's magnets, modular as well. The magnetic feature would also allow for the easy installation of a removable glass lid. I also like the neat modern aesthetic personally.

• Martialis likes this

#5 Offline Martialis - Posted May 1 2017 - 6:23 AM

Martialis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Wouldn't you be siliconing the plexiglass down?

Edit: They're only 8x8x8mm, or 512mm3; it seems you would need quite a few for a Pheidole or Camponotus. I can see this working well for Temnothorax and Monomorium, to name a few.

Edited by Martialis, May 1 2017 - 6:32 AM.

• ctantkeeper likes this
Spoiler

#6 Offline ctantkeeper - Posted May 1 2017 - 9:30 AM

ctantkeeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • LocationCT

Wouldn't you be siliconing the plexiglass down?

Edit: They're only 8x8x8mm, or 512mm3; it seems you would need quite a few for a Pheidole or Camponotus. I can see this working well for Temnothorax and Monomorium, to name a few.

No need to, just keep the glass down with 4 magnets placed above. This will hold it in place. I would probably silicone these magnets to the glass though.

- your right btw, larger species will require more floor space and height, which would equal more magnets. I would use this nest option for smaller species personally.

Edited by ctantkeeper, May 1 2017 - 10:06 AM.

• Martialis likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users