• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

South Hampton, PA (4/29/17)

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Offline VoidElecent - Posted April 30 2017 - 5:58 AM

VoidElecent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA.

1. Location of collection: South Hampton, PA. 
2. Date of collection: 4/29/17
3. Habitat of collection: Suburban/forested area
4. Length (from head to gaster):~6-7 mm
5. Color, hue, pattern and texture: Dark red, noticeably orange legs.
6. Distinguishing characteristics: Postpetiole present
7. Distinguishing behavior: NA
8. Nest description: NA

It looks like either an Aphaenogaster, Myrmica, or Stenamma  queen for sure. Very surprised to have caught one so early.

P1070603_zpshabz1dcu.jpgP1070612_zpsk7jj9fy0.jpgP1070621_zpsimqdkm9r.jpgP1070650_zpsetk0stvt.jpgP1070659_zpsa65rx34i.jpgP1070641_zpsb35easfu.jpg

#2 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted April 30 2017 - 6:04 AM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

Myrmica sp. Since they are semi-claustral, the ones we see wandering around in the spring are probably out foraging for their brood in the nest.

Edited by Batspiderfish, April 30 2017 - 6:05 AM.

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

Black lives still matter.

#3 Offline VoidElecent - Posted April 30 2017 - 6:32 AM

VoidElecent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts

Myrmica sp. Since they are semi-claustral, the ones we see wandering around in the spring are probably out foraging for their brood in the nest.

Thanks, should we return her to the area she was previously at?

#4 Offline Kevin - Posted April 30 2017 - 6:38 AM

Kevin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  • LocationSouth Jersey

You could, then if you find her chamber dig it up, and get the brood she may have.

Hit "Like This" if it helped.

#5 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted April 30 2017 - 6:38 AM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

I'm not sure if she'd be able to find her way back at this point. I believe she will begin laying eggs again after a little while, but she will need sugar and small, soft-bodied arthropods (i.e. Drosophila).

I highly doubt you'll be able to find her nest.

Edited by Batspiderfish, April 30 2017 - 6:38 AM.

• Kevin likes this

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

#6 Offline VoidElecent - Posted April 30 2017 - 7:21 AM

VoidElecent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts

I'm not sure if she'd be able to find her way back at this point. I believe she will begin laying eggs again after a little while, but she will need sugar and small, soft-bodied arthropods (i.e. Drosophila).

Luckily, we have a good supply of Drosophilia designated for feeding purposes. Thanks so much for helping out, I just feel bad that we took her from her nest.

#7 Offline Bracchymyrmex - Posted April 30 2017 - 8:15 AM

Bracchymyrmex

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, Pennsylvania

Interesting that she will refound her colony, never heard of this in ants before.

#8 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted April 30 2017 - 8:48 AM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

Interesting that she will refound her colony, never heard of this in ants before.

With claustral queens, their wing and other protein reserves will have been mostly expended after their first workers. Semi-claustral queens forage, so there's not much limiting her from starting over except settling into a new nest site.

Edited by Batspiderfish, April 30 2017 - 8:49 AM.

----

#9 Offline VoidElecent - Posted April 30 2017 - 9:33 AM

VoidElecent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts

With claustral queens, their wing and other protein reserves will have been mostly expended after their first workers. Semi-claustral queens forage, so there's not much limiting her from starting over except settling into a new nest site.

Interesting. We'll build a small out world for her as soon as we can.

Any recommendations on building her an outworld, or providing the right care for her in her founding stages? I would feel very bad if anything happened to her.

#10 Offline VoidElecent - Posted April 30 2017 - 11:29 AM

VoidElecent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts

We caught this queen yesterday at approximately 6:15 pm, and we caught another a little less than an hour ago. This second one is darker than the first, and slightly smaller. I've prepared outworlds for both of these semi-claustral queens.

I understand Myrmica species are notoriously difficult to identify- is it worth my time trying to get some good macro images, and some from underneath a microscope? Or should I label these as 'Myrmica sp' and move on?

Once again, thank you all very much for your help!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users