• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Ants Of Afghanistan

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Kai - Posted April 29 2017 - 6:19 PM

Kai

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
While I was serving in the Marine Infantry I went to Afghanistan a few times, I noticed in Helmand province very large, long legged bi-colored ants (red and black) with amazing eye sight 3 feet or more. They would run toward us as we passed by thier nests on patrol, they always had thier abdomens pointed up at all times.
Lived in the soil, one entrance to the nest that was visible, and roughly 2 feet of escavated soil around nest entrance.

Larger than any Camponotus species I have ever seen.

Does anyone have any idea what species these were?

Edited by Kai, April 29 2017 - 6:26 PM.

• Martialis and Alabama Anter like this

#2 Offline Alabama Anter - Posted April 29 2017 - 6:23 PM

Alabama Anter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts
  • LocationBoulder, Colorado

Well first off, Thank You for your service and devotion to the US of A!

Secondly, I think this would be Camponotus sp.

• Martialis likes this

YJK

#3 Offline Kai - Posted April 29 2017 - 6:25 PM

Kai

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Well Thank you,

The head of the ant seemed more related to honey pot ants than Camponotus, and its body was raised up high off the ground while it ran around during the day.

#4 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted April 29 2017 - 6:31 PM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

That sounds like Cataglyphis.

• drtrmiller, Jonathan21700 and T.C. like this

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

Black lives still matter.

#5 Offline Kai - Posted April 29 2017 - 6:36 PM

Kai

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

That sounds like Cataglyphis.

I'll have to look at the pictures real quick on antweb.

#6 Offline Kai - Posted April 29 2017 - 6:38 PM

Kai

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
You are correct, haha well that didn't take long, I'm impressed.

#7 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted April 29 2017 - 6:59 PM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

You are correct, haha well that didn't take long, I'm impressed.

It's not often we can make an ID based off a simple description, but Cataglyphis are pretty remarkable. These ants somehow keep track of the length of their legs and how many steps they take to and from the nest, to help them navigate. Their vision is also phenomenal.

Edited by Batspiderfish, April 29 2017 - 7:00 PM.

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

Black lives still matter.

#8 Offline Tyrael - Posted April 29 2017 - 7:08 PM

Tyrael

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

BBC video about Cataglyphis: https://www.youtube....h?v=mCaVvHeI8jU

#9 Offline ctantkeeper - Posted April 30 2017 - 8:49 AM

ctantkeeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • LocationCT

I love this genus!!! there so cool looking :). I love the appearance of their major caste. It seems to remind me ever so slightly of those found in Ection colonies.

p0287xm2.jpg

(cataglyphis bombycina) ^^^^

Edited by ctantkeeper, April 30 2017 - 8:54 AM.

• Martialis likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users