• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

New queen weird acting.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline CozmoDog - Posted April 28 2017 - 2:30 PM

CozmoDog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • LocationGreece, Rhodes
Hey guys I have in my posession a winged camponotus queen, she is acting very strangely and I was wondering if you could tell me something, so I'll start on how I got this queen basicly a friend of mine who was working in the fields cleaning found the queen apparently there are no ants there because they spraythe flowers so My guess is that the queen either landed there or he dug her up by accident. When he brought here to me I placed her inside a test tube. Her behavior is very weird at first she was pulling her gaster up to her face manically almost like she was trying to spray herself, the second thing is she would stay in a curled up position for a bit like she was playing dead, after I checked today about 4 days since I got her she seems like she stopped doing these things and is instead trying to get out by tugging on the cotton. Now my first question is if she is fertile and she already laid eggs and then was dug up will she be willing to lay again also should I try adding some soil into the test tube if so do I need a certain type of soil or will plain old dirt from outside work.

#2 Offline Serafine - Posted April 28 2017 - 3:11 PM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

They spray the flowers so she most likely got poisoned. If you're lucky she manages to survive and will calm down after some time. You might however have to offer her a bit of honey or sugar water once she calmed down (if she survives) cause she's probably burning a lot of energy right now.

You don't need to add soil to the tube, especially if you're not sure that earth isn't contaminated with pesticides. Camponotus (and all other ants) can live fine in a glass test tube with no substrate. She just needs fresh water and probably a small drop of honey or sugar water (if she survives the next days).

Edited by Serafine, April 28 2017 - 3:11 PM.

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

#3 Offline Martialis - Posted May 4 2017 - 5:34 PM

Martialis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Both my Camponotus queens displayed this behavior before dying.

Spoiler

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users