• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Mold Framing for Casting

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Offline PTAntFan - Posted April 27 2017 - 5:21 PM

PTAntFan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
  • LocationBurbank, CA

I need a simple mold/frame for casting hydrostone.  I need something that can easily come apart but has precision as I need complete flatness on at least two sides.

I have probably too many non-ant hobby personal projects and some work stuff going on right now.  I think this should be easy to do but my brain just cannot step up right now.  And I need a solution pretty quickly as I have a colony whose current setup is ripe for replacement.  so I appreciate any suggestions.  

PTAntFan----------------------------------Pogonomyrmex Californicus*****************************<p>I use the $3 Tower I made up. See it here.

#2 Offline Subverted - Posted April 27 2017 - 5:28 PM

Subverted

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 447 posts
  • LocationSoCal

What is the format of what you are hoping to cast? It is hard to make suggestions with the amount of detail you have given so far...

I am not sure what sort of access you have to tools but you could try using wood to make a frame that screws together in the corners.

• PTAntFan likes this

My ants | My free feeder design | PM or email me if you need and 3d printing, cnc machining, or manufacturing done: http://www.lrmachining.com

Make your own mold/fungus/bacteria resistant test tube water! Don't get ripped off! Read my simple guide: http://www.formicult...-simple-how-to/

"Self-education is, I firmly believe, the only kind of education there is." - Isaac Asimov

#3 Offline PTAntFan - Posted April 27 2017 - 5:38 PM

PTAntFan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
  • LocationBurbank, CA

As I said, brain fried.  Apologies for lack details.  I'm just looking for simple rectangle.  My concern is accurate measurements and cuts for the sides as I'd like something clean and balanced.

PTAntFan----------------------------------Pogonomyrmex Californicus*****************************<p>I use the $3 Tower I made up. See it here.

#4 Offline Subverted - Posted April 27 2017 - 6:15 PM

Subverted

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 447 posts
  • LocationSoCal

How deep are you planning to pour? You can buy some fairly inexpensive 1x4 board at home depot or lowes and get them to cut it to whatever size you need for your mold.

If you need something deeper than about 3.5" (true dimensional size of a 1x4 is 0.75" by 3.5") you are in for a bit more of a challenge.

My ants | My free feeder design | PM or email me if you need and 3d printing, cnc machining, or manufacturing done: http://www.lrmachining.com

Make your own mold/fungus/bacteria resistant test tube water! Don't get ripped off! Read my simple guide: http://www.formicult...-simple-how-to/

"Self-education is, I firmly believe, the only kind of education there is." - Isaac Asimov

#5 Offline PTAntFan - Posted April 27 2017 - 9:15 PM

PTAntFan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
  • LocationBurbank, CA

Yeah, I think that's the way to go go.  3.5" should be adequet.

#6 Offline Kevin - Posted April 28 2017 - 2:38 AM

Kevin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  • LocationSouth Jersey
Cut some thinner boards (maybe half an inch to an inch) and glue them all together.

Edited by Kevin, April 28 2017 - 2:39 AM.

Hit "Like This" if it helped.

#7 Offline PTAntFan - Posted April 28 2017 - 8:12 AM

PTAntFan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
  • LocationBurbank, CA

Why thinner, Kevin?

#8 Offline dspdrew - Posted April 28 2017 - 2:00 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Sounds to me like you might be looking for what's called a mold box. They're adjustable and easily taken apart.

36a3ea89de135a6ac0e42d25acca3826.jpg

I 3D printed mine, but don't have any pictures of it.

• T.C. and Jelly like this

#9 Offline Kevin - Posted April 28 2017 - 4:27 PM

Kevin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  • LocationSouth Jersey

Why thinner, Kevin?

I was describing the general boards you find at the hardware store, I haven't seen a very tall and thick board, just some of the skinnier ones.

Hit "Like This" if it helped.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users