• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Workers and Eggs

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Offline BMM - Posted November 14 2016 - 8:21 PM

BMM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

So I just noticed that my Tapinoma sessile workers (no queen) have some eggs. At least I think so. A few of them spend pretty much all of their time in a connector tube and when I took a closer look today, I spotted some white specs next to them. One of them must have been carrying a few when I caught them. My goal has been to keep these guys up and running as long as possible, maybe through winter if I'm lucky. The prospect of them raising some eggs is certainly an added bonus. So my question is, are these actually eggs and if so, will the workers raise them? I know queens don't usually care for the eggs after the early stages of a colony, but I wasn't sure if the workers would continue to take care of the eggs without her presence. 

#2 Offline SamKeepsAnts - Posted November 30 2016 - 8:02 AM

SamKeepsAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • LocationSoCal

they will but i don't know how they got eggs in  the first place

Owner of :

7 Founding Brachymyrmex Patagonicus queens

#3 Offline Serafine - Posted November 30 2016 - 3:07 PM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

Does Tampinoma has gamergates?

It may also just be the case that the species just doesn't have infertile workers and while usually they don't lay eggs they might do in the absence of a queen (although they most likely can only produce alate males then).

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

#4 Offline BMM - Posted November 30 2016 - 5:53 PM

BMM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

My guess is that one of the workers I caught was carrying some. I don't recall seeing any with eggs, but it seems like the most likely explanation.

It's been a little over two weeks since I originally made this topic. I haven't noticed any changes with the eggs, but the workers have been eating protein and they still guard them around the clock.

#5 Offline Mdrogun - Posted November 30 2016 - 7:06 PM

Mdrogun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • LocationGainesville, FL

Does Tampinoma has gamergates?

It may also just be the case that the species just doesn't have infertile workers and while usually they don't lay eggs they might do in the absence of a queen (although they most likely can only produce alate males then).

No they don't.

My guess is that one of the workers I caught was carrying some. I don't recall seeing any with eggs, but it seems like the most likely explanation.

It's been a little over two weeks since I originally made this topic. I haven't noticed any changes with the eggs, but the workers have been eating protein and they still guard them around the clock.

Are you sure you don't have any queens? Tapinoma sessile queens are almost identical to workers and the colonies normally have tons of queens. I have a massive colony of these on my property and because of that I have a ton of experience with them. if you're colony is a decent size I would say you probably just don't know you caught a queen. It's pretty strange for some brood to just show up.

Currently Keeping:
Trachymyrmex septentrionalis

Pheidole pilifera

Forelius sp. (Monogynous, bicolored) "Midwestern Forelius"
Crematogaster cerasi

Pheidole bicarinata

Aphaenogaster rudis

Camponotus chromaiodes

Formica sp. (microgena species)

Nylanderia cf. arenivega

#6 Offline BMM - Posted November 30 2016 - 8:53 PM

BMM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

Are you sure you don't have any queens? Tapinoma sessile queens are almost identical to workers and the colonies normally have tons of queens. I have a massive colony of these on my property and because of that I have a ton of experience with them. if you're colony is a decent size I would say you probably just don't know you caught a queen. It's pretty strange for some brood to just show up.

I had to individually catch these, so I don't think I have a queen. However, you are right about the size difference, so maybe I just didn't realize it. Sadly I dribbled a bit of extra water on one side of their setup, so they've moved from the connector tube to one of the dirt filled sections to escape the excess moisture. I can't see them very well where they are, so hopefully they move back when it dries out. Then I might be able to confirm whether there's a queen mixed in with the workers.

#7 Offline BMM - Posted December 1 2016 - 8:11 PM

BMM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

They moved out of the dirt a bit, so I was able to get a look and take some pictures. I don't see any that look larger or have pronounced thoraxes, so I'm thinking there's no queen.

1201062157a

#8 Offline BMM - Posted December 26 2016 - 3:28 PM

BMM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

So, something of an update.

All of these workers are still alive. I'm honestly surprised that they've lasted two months. They still guard the eggs and take protein. However, the eggs haven't developed much and I would think 1-2 months would be enough time to see some development. I'm thinking that they might be in hibernation mode. I've never bothered to lower the temperatures, mainly because I didn't think they'd live long enough for hibernation to matter, so they've been living at around 75°F(24°C). The majority of them sit around the eggs all day, although a couple are always scouting or eating. Do eggs go into stasis during hibernation periods, even if the temperature isn't right? Also, would that possibly explain why the workers haven't started dying yet? 

#9 Offline Serafine - Posted December 26 2016 - 5:08 PM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

Workers usually live for some months, even fire ant workers live for 3-4 months, Camponotus workers can live for years.

The eggs get chemical signals from the workers (essentially the workers vomit on them) so it is possible that they are hibernating.

• Connectimyrmex likes this

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

#10 Offline BMM - Posted January 5 2017 - 2:58 PM

BMM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

I've heard so many times that patience is key when it comes to dealing with ants, and this was no exception. Today while I was checking on them, I noticed a small, light colored ant and realized that there must have been a pupa in there somewhere and it must have eclosed. This is the first ant that's ever grown up under my care, so I'm quite excited and proud.  :D

#11 Offline Diesel - Posted January 5 2017 - 3:51 PM

Diesel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
  • LocationSouthern Maine
Congrats man. I got my first nanitics this week. My colony jumped from 11 to 21 in 5 days

Ant Species kept

Temnothorax Longispinosus.-Journal(discontinued)-(formerly)

Camponotus Noveboracensis (formerly)

Camponotus Nearticus-formerly

Tetramorium sp.-formerly

Camponotus Pennsylvanicus Queen & brood.-formerly

Tapinoma Sessile-Journal (3 queen colony)-formerly

​Tapinoma  Sessile #2 (2 queen colony)-formerly

Aphaenogaster Picea-Journal-active

Crematogaster sp.(Cerasi or Lineolata) Queen with 3 workers and brood-formerly

​Crematogaster sp. #2 (Cerasi or Lineolata) Queen with brood-formerly

Formica sp. polygenus-active 300+ workers-active

Formica Subsericea-active 25+ workers-active

Myrmica Rubra 400+ workers 3 queens-active

#12 Offline Connectimyrmex - Posted January 5 2017 - 6:14 PM

Connectimyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,864 posts
  • LocationAvon, Connecticut

Nice job! My Ochetellus recently closed their first few workers! Boy do the queens look proud.

Hawaiiant (Ben)

Keeper of
Miniature Labradoodle
Baby Wolf Spider
Mud Dauber wasp larvae
Ochetellus Glaber
Solenopsis Geminata
Brachymyrmex Obscurior
Cardiocondyla Emeryi
Tetramorium Bicarinatum
Plagiolepis Alluaudi
Anoplolepis Gracilipes
Technomyrmex Difficilis
Pheidole Megacephala
Aholehole fish
Cowrie snail
Sea Fan Worm
100+ sea squirts
Tree seedlings
Ghost Crab
Day Gecko
Small Fat Centipede
Endemic Lacewing larva
Vernal Pool shrimps

#13 Offline BMM - Posted February 9 2017 - 1:55 PM

BMM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

So a few more of these have eclosed since my last post. I think I'm up to three new workers now. However, over the past few days one pupa got much bigger than the others did. I had suspicions that it might be an alate and sure enough when I checked today it had wings. I'm pretty certain this is a male, but I can't really find many pictures of Tapinoma sessile alates to compare against. Is my assumption correct?

Whatever the sex, it's quite a bit more active than the rest. These girls have been extremely timid and usually just sit in their tube, but this one is trampling all over them and running in circles. All the workers seem a bit a agitated by it.

• Martialis likes this

#14 Offline Bracchymyrmex - Posted February 9 2017 - 2:23 PM

Bracchymyrmex

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, Pennsylvania

Can you take a picture from above to give a better view of it's abdomen and thorax?

#15 Offline BMM - Posted February 9 2017 - 7:09 PM

BMM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

Sadly those are about the best pics I can get. They nest in a clear tube about the width of a pencil and pretty much refuse to come out, so I can't really get a focused picture from the top. The fact that the alate won't sit still for more than a second doesn't help either. 

Are there any physical characteristics I can look for? The gaster seems relatively sleek and is angled a bit more downward than the workers'.

#16 Offline Mdrogun - Posted February 9 2017 - 7:15 PM

Mdrogun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • LocationGainesville, FL

That is a male alate. Tapinoma sessile commonly mate in the nest. I wouldn't be surprised if they raised the brood into alates and then they assumed the role of the colony's egg layers.

• drtrmiller likes this

Currently Keeping:
Trachymyrmex septentrionalis

Pheidole pilifera

Forelius sp. (Monogynous, bicolored) "Midwestern Forelius"
Crematogaster cerasi

Pheidole bicarinata

Aphaenogaster rudis

Camponotus chromaiodes

Formica sp. (microgena species)

Nylanderia cf. arenivega

#17 Offline Alabama Anter - Posted February 9 2017 - 8:57 PM

Alabama Anter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts
  • LocationBoulder, Colorado

That is a male alate. Tapinoma sessile commonly mate in the nest. I wouldn't be surprised if they raised the brood into alates and then they assumed the role of the colony's egg layers.

Yeah, you may have a colony in your hands now!

YJK

#18 Offline Shareallicu - Posted February 9 2017 - 9:26 PM

Shareallicu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

So, something of an update.

All of these workers are still alive. I'm honestly surprised that they've lasted two months. They still guard the eggs and take protein. However, the eggs haven't developed much and I would think 1-2 months would be enough time to see some development. I'm thinking that they might be in hibernation mode. I've never bothered to lower the temperatures, mainly because I didn't think they'd live long enough for hibernation to matter, so they've been living at around 75°F(24°C). The majority of them sit around the eggs all day, although a couple are always scouting or eating. Do eggs go into stasis during hibernation periods, even if the temperature isn't right? Also, would that possibly explain why the workers haven't started dying yet? 

I think they can control when the eggs hatch.  I caught some black ants years ago with a brood and no queen.  They had eggs around for almost a year before they all hatched.  I think they were formica sp. but it was my first colony and I didn't have the internet to research back then, so I can't be sure. :)  And one of the last to hatch was a queen!!  :)   I knew ants were cool before that, but that is when I KNEW THEY WERE AWESOME TOO :)

Edited by Shareallicu, February 9 2017 - 9:28 PM.

#19 Offline BMM - Posted February 9 2017 - 9:36 PM

BMM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

I'll be awfully impressed with them if they manage to jump start a colony. They've still got a decent number of eggs left, so who knows.

• Martialis likes this

#20 Offline BMM - Posted May 9 2017 - 6:09 AM

BMM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

So, this group of workers is still alive after more than half a year. A few more workers have eclosed. The male alate eventually died or was killed. They didn't seem very fond of him.

This morning was pretty warm, so I thought I'd check around for any signs of flights and I noticed a large trail of Tapinoma sessile workers moving brood. I noticed a few with alate larvae, so I nabbed those and added them in with the workers. I'm not sure whether they'll raise them or not.

The more exciting bit is that I saw a queen scramble along the trail and was able to catch her. I want to try adding her in with the workers, but I'm concerned about whether or not they'll reject her. I've tried adding a few wild workers to this group since I caught them and I think only one out of five or six was accepted. Does anyone have any tips on what might increase the chances of success?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users