• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Walden Pond, Concord, MA (4/16/2017)

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Offline randeee - Posted April 16 2017 - 2:15 PM

randeee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

1. On a tree, along a trail next to the pond.
2. 1PM 4/16/2017

3. Woodsy Trail, tons of flying insects
4. ~7-8mm (might be wrong... used an online ruler lol) It's quite small.
5. Dark brown body with light brown legs and antennae. Gaster is smooth and pointy at the tip.
3uUF6dT.jpg

M28udOT.jpg

#2 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted April 16 2017 - 2:32 PM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

A Lasius umbratus queen from last fall.

http://www.formicult...cial-parasites/

Edited by Batspiderfish, April 16 2017 - 2:33 PM.

• randeee and Nathant2131 like this

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

Black lives still matter.

#3 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted April 16 2017 - 2:54 PM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts
  • LocationDracut, Massachusetts

I agree with Batspiderfish. I have been finding a few of these.

Edited by Nathant2131, April 16 2017 - 2:54 PM.

• randeee likes this

#4 Offline randeee - Posted April 16 2017 - 2:56 PM

randeee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

Thanks, guys. I'm super excited to have my first parasitic queen. :) Do you guys know how I should go about choosing the workers? I have a bunch of Tetramorium Sp. E, would that work out?

#5 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted April 16 2017 - 2:58 PM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts

Thanks, guys. I'm super excited to have my first parasitic queen. :) Do you guys know how I should go about choosing the workers? I have a bunch of Tetramorium Sp. E, would that work out?

They only parasitize Lasius niger group colonies. 

#6 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted April 16 2017 - 3:02 PM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

Not exactly. Host specificity in Lasius could probably use some work. I definitely need to amend my guide to clarify which genus is required, though.

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

#7 Offline VoidElecent - Posted April 16 2017 - 3:09 PM

VoidElecent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA.

It does look like an umbratus-group Chthonolasius parasite, but it could be either ​L. umbratus or  L. speculiventris. Regardless, pretty neat find. You should check out this guide (guy who wrote it was a weirdo :P) for advice on founding a colony with a social parasite. I'm planning on using the callow method for my umbratus group, I'll let you know how it goes. Good luck!

Edited by VoidElecent, April 16 2017 - 3:10 PM.

#8 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted April 16 2017 - 3:23 PM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts

It does look like an umbratus-group Chthonolasius parasite, but it could be either ​L. umbratus or  L. speculiventris. Regardless, pretty neat find. You should check out this guide (guy who wrote it was a weirdo :P) for advice on founding a colony with a social parasite. I'm planning on using the callow method for my umbratus group, I'll let you know how it goes. Good luck!

BSF already said L. umbratus, and you can't argue him with IDs.  :lol:

#9 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted April 16 2017 - 3:24 PM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts

Not exactly. Host specificity in Lasius could probably use some work. I definitely need to amend my guide to clarify which genus is required, though.

You're right, some species are temporary social hyperparasites in the wild. (Temporary social Parasite of a temporary social parasite)

Edited by Nathant2131, April 16 2017 - 3:25 PM.

#10 Offline randeee - Posted April 16 2017 - 3:24 PM

randeee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

Thanks! It would be super helpful to see how you go about introducing the workers. I'm super clueless about this right now but research wouldn't hurt.

#11 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted April 16 2017 - 3:28 PM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

You at least have a point in that these pictures are barely adequate to make that call, however I've seen a lot of social parasites in my time, and this queen just doesn't seem shiny enough. If we can get a good photograph showing off that gaster, we can be absolutely sure.

Lasius umbratus will have a matte gaster, while Lasius speculiventris will be bald and shiny on all but the first gastral tergite.

• Nathant2131 likes this

----

#12 Offline randeee - Posted April 16 2017 - 3:37 PM

randeee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

Vnb1oyJ.jpg

u2Jdr8q.jpg

I did my best as she would not stay still lol

#13 Offline noebl1 - Posted April 16 2017 - 3:38 PM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
  • LocationNorthern Massachusetts

FWIW... I had a Lasius alienus queen, nanitics and brood make it thru hibernation.  However the queen died unexpectedly a couple weeks ago.  I figured I had nothing to loose so added a parasitic Lasius last week (suspect umbratus.)  First hour or so was pretty chaotic; I watched her tear the original queen apart that was still in the tube while the nanitics ran around in panic.    24hours later things had settled down, they had carried the pieces of the original queen out of the cotton nest, and the parasitic queen was sitting with the brood.  The nanitics went back into caring for the now larvae of the former queen and foraging.  Not entirely calling it a typical outcome or success as way too soon and think this colony is way too small.  Regardless was interesting to watch and will keep caring for them to see what happens.

#14 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted April 16 2017 - 3:41 PM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

I did my best as she would not stay still lol

Ah, and there it is. I know Lasius umbratus when I see it. :D

Edited by Batspiderfish, April 16 2017 - 3:42 PM.

• Nathant2131 likes this

----

#15 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted April 16 2017 - 3:43 PM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts

#ParasiteLoveForever  <3

• Batspiderfish likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic