• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

How to best preserve specimens

preserve specimen alcohol collection

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Offline jdsaunders1390 - Posted April 13 2017 - 2:50 PM

jdsaunders1390

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  • LocationCentral Florida
I would like to keep a collection of the different members of each species of ant that I keep. (Worker, major, drone, etc of each species)
What is the best way to preserve these specimens so that they last, and I can view them well?
I know some collectors attach (glue?) them to a small triangle of paper and put a pin through the paper to hold it in place on a board. I could also use alcohol or formaldehyde. Does anyone have experience preserving ants?

#2 Offline Antsinmycloset - Posted April 13 2017 - 6:01 PM

Antsinmycloset

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

What is your end goal? Just to have? Are you planning on looking at them often? This will help give you your answer.

Anyone will tell you that pinning, while the standard for a ton of reasons, is going to result in dried out and fragile specimens long term. Legs, antennae, and anything possible will fall or be knocked off sooner or later. The more you access them, the quicker they'll become damaged. It doesn't matter much for museums who leave them in a drawer for decades at a time, but personal collections, it's potentially different. Also, glue (top coat, for finger nails, is what I use) can sometimes obscure small details on tiny arthropods. Mounting anything smaller than 2 mm just... sucks. I'm horrible at it. But as said, it's the standard, and if you position well while drying, it can give you unparalleled ease for viewing from any angle but below.

If you have the space, and are fine looking through glass, storing in alcohol may be your best shot. It will take up a take up more space, and both weight and cost significantly more, but your specimens should stay in better shape long term. You also don't have to worry about mold, water damage, dermestids, or anything else damaging your collection. If required, you can always take the insect out of the jar if you need to look at it under a scope.

You can store them in ethyl or isopropyl alcohol. I've heard arguments both ways on which is better, and honestly I don't know which is better. I used 70% ethanol, because that was what was on hand. Either one will do you fine. Don't waste your time considering formaldehyde. That was a bit long-winded, but hopefully gives you a starting point. Lots of colleges have pamphlets you can easily find on google which are good resources.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users