• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Midwest Area Anting

• Please log in to reply
108 replies to this topic

#41 Offline Klassien - Posted May 16 2017 - 2:12 PM

Klassien

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

I carefully checked on her just now and she is active and has ripped her wings off! 

How exciting! Very good sign she's fertile.

While looking for Camponotus queens, I destroyed the nest of a small Aphaenogaster cf. rudis colony. Whoops..

There's around 12-20 workers along with the queen, I caught them all instead of letting them doe of exposure and the nearby Formica colony.

Hopefully you found some Camponotus queens. At least you saved them; the more ants the merrier right?

When I found my Camponotus queens this year, it was right after a flight and they were mostly on the edge of wooded areas. All of them were hiding under small logs and bits of bark. My speculation is that it takes them a few days to find suitable pieces of wood to start a founding chamber in. After that point you would probably need to start looking for them in rotting logs and similar places.

I can agree. Dead stumps, and porous/rotting logs are really good places to look for them.

• Martialis likes this

#42 Offline Martialis - Posted May 16 2017 - 2:51 PM

Martialis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Hopefully you found some Camponotus queens. At least you saved them; the more ants the merrier right?

Not today. Caught a Camponotus subbarbatus queen under a twig on Sunday, though.

• Klassien likes this
Spoiler

#43 Offline ultraex2 - Posted May 17 2017 - 6:28 AM

ultraex2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts

So I'm 99% sure that the queens that flew on 5/13 for me were stenamma brevicorne - I went out yesterday looking and found 1 dealate underneath a stump.  Keep an eye out for these - they're about 5 mm in length and are bigger than temnothorax but smaller than aphaenogaster.

• Martialis likes this

#44 Offline Martialis - Posted May 17 2017 - 8:04 AM

Martialis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Well Aphaenogaster is a member of the tribe Stenammini..

Spoiler

#45 Offline ultraex2 - Posted May 17 2017 - 8:51 AM

ultraex2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Yeah, antwiki says that they're closely related to both aphaenogaster and messor.

#46 Offline Witmen - Posted May 17 2017 - 2:04 PM

Witmen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

I just carefully peaked at her again and she has laid two eggs! This is so awesome. My son is freaking out  :D

• Martialis and brian like this

#47 Offline BMM - Posted May 18 2017 - 5:26 AM

BMM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

It looks like we may have had another C. pennsylvanicus flight in St. Louis. I found a single wingless queen this morning. I also saw a much smaller ant that I'm pretty sure was a queen, but she scurried off before I could catch her.

Also, a bit of good news. All six of my Camponotus queens have eggs. Two have cocoons, three have huge piles of eggs, and the last one only has two eggs. Not expecting much of her.

• Klassien likes this

#48 Offline ultraex2 - Posted May 18 2017 - 6:41 AM

ultraex2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Nice!

I'm having terrible luck with finding camponotus queens this year - I found one, it died a week later and found 2 more dead ones out in the wild within the past couple weeks.  There was a big storm last night so I'm hoping to find some queens today.

#49 Offline BMM - Posted June 5 2017 - 7:39 PM

BMM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

Saw a few Tapinoma sessile alates today, along with an unidentified alate around 10mm that scurried off before I could catch it. We're just starting to break 90° here in Missouri and should be in the mid 90's by this weekend. Might be promising.

#50 Offline BMM - Posted June 13 2017 - 4:52 AM

BMM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

We may have had a Tetramorium flight in Missouri. This morning I noticed a few workers moving a dead queen on my driveway. No signs otherwise, but it's humid and over 90°, so it's about the right conditions.

#51 Offline Martialis - Posted June 13 2017 - 5:26 AM

Martialis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Camponotus castaneus had a huge flight last night, although the only queen I caught was of C. pennsylvanicus.

Spoiler

#52 Offline BMM - Posted June 14 2017 - 7:43 PM

BMM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

Temnothorax curvispinosus is flying in MO. I'm finding boatloads of alates around my porch light. 

#53 Offline Ants4fun - Posted June 15 2017 - 11:08 AM

Ants4fun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota
Oh nice, I set up some lights, but I didn't attract anything. I was going for some temnothorax curvispinosis

#54 Offline BMM - Posted June 16 2017 - 10:03 AM

BMM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

Just caught two more Temnothorax curvispinosus queens who were wandering around on a sidewalk. Both wingless. It's interesting that they were traveling in a pair. I'm up to five of them now.

#55 Offline ultraex2 - Posted June 16 2017 - 11:19 AM

ultraex2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Congrats on the temnothorax - good to know those are starting to fly as I'd love to get some too!

I'm still even hoping to get some Tetramorium as I haven't gotten any yet so far... 

#56 Offline BMM - Posted June 16 2017 - 7:29 PM

BMM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

I managed to catch another two T. curvispinosus queens around the same spot. Up to seven now. That's probably enough.

I've been watching like a hawk for Tetramorium flights, but I've yet to see anything. Strange too, since we're in the low 90's and it's been extremely humid with the occasional shower. I only have T. tsushimae where I live though, so I'm not sure exactly when or how big their flights will be.

#57 Offline BMM - Posted June 20 2017 - 6:24 AM

BMM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

It looks like Tetramorium tsushimae are flying in small numbers in St. Louis. I've seen the occasional dead queen over the past few days and was finally able to capture two alive ones this morning. Sadly one seems a little sluggish and the other is missing a leg. I'm hoping I can grab a few more if they keep flying.

#58 Offline ultraex2 - Posted June 20 2017 - 9:17 AM

ultraex2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts

There is Tetramorium all over where I live and I've seen... 1 male alate the past week.  I'm starting to think that they may not even fly this month and it will be sometime in July.

Also, they are small, but keep an eye out for Lasius Alienus - I believe these are going to be flying soon.  I'm pretty sure a colony of them moved into my old garden and their alates are running around everywhere.  The wild colony I caught also produced about 30 or 40 alates as well.

I did also uncover a colony of either Aphaenogaster or Myrmica that had an alate with multiple alate larvae too, so watch out for those soon too.

#59 Offline Ameise - Posted June 20 2017 - 9:37 AM

Ameise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
One of the Tetramorium colonies I dug into last week had plenty of alates... but it was the only one with slates out of like ten nests.

#60 Offline BMM - Posted June 23 2017 - 4:54 AM

BMM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

Tetramorium tsushimae are flying in full force here in MO. Caught 5 queens just on my drive way, all wingless. Saw plenty more, but I was out of vials. Since they're highly polygynous in the wild, I put three of them together in a test tube. I'm curious to see if it goes well.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users