• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Tetramorium sp E. homemade nest

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Klassien - Posted April 7 2017 - 3:35 PM

Klassien

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

I was looking at the Tetramorium hybrid nest from Antscanada and realized it costs a lot of money for a little thing...So I attempted to build my own nest lol. Cost me almost $4 to make (that was for the vinyl tubing). It's got a little chamber to put a sponge in for humidity--all I'd have to do is use my dremel to cut a rectangular removable cover. Not so sure how I feel about it or even if they'd even like it. Is it a decent nest, should I try to make another nest, or look for one to buy?

Won't let me upload images :(

http://imgur.com/1id23TM

http://imgur.com/yyY2U8S

#2 Offline sgheaton - Posted April 7 2017 - 3:55 PM

sgheaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

You did everything correctly in my opinion! Except why is your bead organizer upside down? Cut a portion of it out, a small square, and hot glue the big chunk down solid. The small portion will be your "access" door so to speak. Keep the whole thing sealed but the other way around? 

This was my "starter" until I got my "other" set up going. I was inspired by Smilesforants's set up and attempted a rendition of that. It's what I'd consider a fairly cheap/minimalist approach. Good luck!

• Ant Love likes this

"I'm the search bar! Type questions into me and I'll search within the forums for an answer!"

#3 Offline Klassien - Posted April 7 2017 - 7:00 PM

Klassien

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

You did everything correctly in my opinion! Except why is your bead organizer upside down? Cut a portion of it out, a small square, and hot glue the big chunk down solid. The small portion will be your "access" door so to speak. Keep the whole thing sealed but the other way around? 

This was my "starter" until I got my "other" set up going. I was inspired by Smilesforants's set up and attempted a rendition of that. It's what I'd consider a fairly cheap/minimalist approach. Good luck!

Got the box from the clearance section, it's got 2 long scratches and the left latch doesn't work right. That is a really good idea; I'm actually using this as a temporary nest/outworld until I can make/buy something that looks naturalistic. I definitely want to be careful with the design because tetramorium seem to just fit in the smallest nooks they can find (from my experience lol). Thanks a bunch!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users