• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Queen Behaviour?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Offline TooManyAnts - Posted April 5 2017 - 2:06 PM

TooManyAnts

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

I just caught my Solenopsis invicta queen today. I put her into a test tube set up and put her into a dark place. I checked up on her about 5 minutes later, and she was at the front of the test tube, in the space between the cotton and the test tube.

Is she stressed/settling? Should i be worried or would this be solved by just leaving her alone (solenopsis invicta are fully claustral, right?). She might be trying to forage...HELP! 

DcBWhxf.jpg

#2 Offline Jelly - Posted April 5 2017 - 3:20 PM

Jelly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

I'm no expert, but after all they are a tropical species, do you keep her heated?

How did you catch her? If she was dug from a founding chamber maybe she already had a generation of workers and needs to forage.

Ants tend to like smalls spaces and it makes them feel more comfortable, maybe she's just chillin'?

#3 Offline TooManyAnts - Posted April 5 2017 - 3:45 PM

TooManyAnts

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

I'm no expert, but after all they are a tropical species, do you keep her heated?

How did you catch her? If she was dug from a founding chamber maybe she already had a generation of workers and needs to forage.

Ants tend to like smalls spaces and it makes them feel more comfortable, maybe she's just chillin'?

Its 82 degrees in my house and the room i'm keeping her in is the hottest. I'm in north florida. I just scooped her up from the ground, now that i think about it though, her capture was a little rough. 

Edited by TooManyAnts, April 5 2017 - 3:45 PM.

#4 Offline thosaka - Posted April 5 2017 - 4:25 PM

thosaka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

I'd say give her 5 days to settle, and then recheck again. If she seems settled in, give her some sugar source.

• Works4TheGood likes this

#5 Offline TooManyAnts - Posted April 5 2017 - 4:49 PM

TooManyAnts

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

I'd say give her 5 days to settle, and then recheck again. If she seems settled in, give her some sugar source.

OK, well, then 5 days from now i'll give an update. I'm sure she just needs to get settled

#6 Offline Alabama Anter - Posted April 5 2017 - 5:07 PM

Alabama Anter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts
  • LocationBoulder, Colorado

Solenopsis invicta are VERY hardy. This is actually normal behavior. All of my invicta during the first hour were at the top cotton, but within 3-24 hours they would have a nice little brood pile. Do not worry! Also, Jelly, AL has no founding chambers.

• Works4TheGood likes this

YJK

#7 Offline TooManyAnts - Posted April 5 2017 - 5:13 PM

TooManyAnts

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Solenopsis invicta are VERY hardy. This is actually normal behavior. All of my invicta during the first hour were at the top cotton, but within 3-24 hours they would have a nice little brood pile. Do not worry! Also, Jelly, AL has no founding chambers.

Wow! I didn't know it was normal, i'm sooooo glad! Also, i didn't get her from digging up a founding chamber, i just found her crawling along the dirt in my garden at around 4 pm. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users