• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Sorry to All, I am Still Alive

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Offline thosaka - Posted April 1 2017 - 9:10 PM

thosaka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

I apologize to everyone on not giving a report on anting in Anza Borrego Desert State Park. I did not have computer access for a few days due to some scheduled house renovations and projects. I setup the computer today, 4/1/2017, and currently temporarily have it in the garage. This is my unofficial quick report on Anza Borrego Desert State Park on 3/28/2017. The temperature was around 75-83, I searched 2 long trails as well as 20 acres off-trail, totaling to 8 hrs from 12-8. I did not see any queen ants, but I did find very few colonies of ants, and I say a few, because I suspected they were all hiding underground, under the radar from the dry 80 degree weather, and because I saw without digging, many ants moving underground through a large opening. I took about 20-30 pictures I will post. Please give me some time as I have more work to do. Soysauce may have had better luck than I looking through southern California where I was at. He and I will share and submit our reports to the forum so the others can decide whether they would like to go to the same place during this time or in the near future. Before I left for the desert, I also made my first formicarium with pure grout and water (no perlite or anything) in a 1000 lb weight sustainable plastic. It came out perfectly rectangle and solid hard. I will also post a picture of this. Thanks again.

Edited by Tagassi, April 1 2017 - 9:27 PM.

• FSTP, soulsynapse, SoySauce and 1 other like this

#2 Offline drtrmiller - Posted April 1 2017 - 10:01 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

The title makes me think you're apologizing for being alive.  We're happy you're still alive.

• ctantkeeper, LC3, CallMeCraven and 1 other like this

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#3 Offline FSTP - Posted April 1 2017 - 10:22 PM

FSTP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts
  • Location36.7378° N, 119.7871° W

I'm not sorry you're alive, deal with it.  B)

• thosaka likes this

#4 Offline Subverted - Posted April 2 2017 - 2:24 AM

Subverted

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 447 posts
  • LocationSoCal

I apologize to everyone on not giving a report on anting in Anza Borrego Desert State Park.

I hope you know that collecting anything inside a California State Park is illegal and carries fairly heavy penalties...

My ants | My free feeder design | PM or email me if you need and 3d printing, cnc machining, or manufacturing done: http://www.lrmachining.com

Make your own mold/fungus/bacteria resistant test tube water! Don't get ripped off! Read my simple guide: http://www.formicult...-simple-how-to/

"Self-education is, I firmly believe, the only kind of education there is." - Isaac Asimov

#5 Offline dspdrew - Posted April 2 2017 - 2:28 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

The title makes me think you're apologizing for being alive.  We're happy you're still alive.

:lol:  This is one of those times when antdude is right.

• Martialis likes this

#6 Offline SoySauce - Posted April 2 2017 - 5:28 AM

SoySauce

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 300 posts
  • LocationSanta Monica, CA

I apologize to everyone on not giving a report on anting in Anza Borrego Desert State Park.

I hope you know that collecting anything inside a California State Park is illegal and carries fairly heavy penalties...
I'm just curious how do you know this? The reason I ask is because on two separate occasions at two different CA State parks, I've explicitly told two different Park Rangers that I was looking for queen ants. They both never said anything about it being prohibited, illegal or carried any fines. In fact they were inquisitive on how I find them and how do I tell they're queen ants.

I've also searched the CA parks websites and have not found anything about collecting insects are prohibited. I did find that you can fish and even hunt at some CA State parks and reserves.

Edited by SoySauce, April 2 2017 - 6:01 AM.

#7 Offline Alabama Anter - Posted April 2 2017 - 6:08 AM

Alabama Anter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts
  • LocationBoulder, Colorado

I'm not sorry you're alive, deal with it. B)

#savage

YJK

#8 Offline Bracchymyrmex - Posted April 2 2017 - 6:25 AM

Bracchymyrmex

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, Pennsylvania

I'm just curious how do you know this? The reason I ask is because on two separate occasions at two different CA State parks, I've explicitly told two different Park Rangers that I was looking for queen ants. They both never said anything about it being prohibited, illegal or carried any fines. In fact they were inquisitive on how I find them and how do I tell they're queen ants.

I've also searched the CA parks websites and have not found anything about collecting insects are prohibited. I did find that you can fish and even hunt at some CA State parks and reserves.

^^^^ 'nuff said

• Nathant2131 likes this

#9 Offline dspdrew - Posted April 2 2017 - 7:33 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

You told them you were "looking for queen ants", or "collecting queen ants"? You can look for anything you want. Collecting is what's prohibited.

• Martialis likes this

#10 Offline SoySauce - Posted April 2 2017 - 8:21 AM

SoySauce

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 300 posts
That's true. I don't remember exactly how I worded it. But does that mean any State grounds because aren't they all managed by the Dept. of Parks and Recreation?

Regardless I never had any real luck at the State parks because they're too many people there. Other than the Chaney trail and campground.

#11 Offline thosaka - Posted April 2 2017 - 10:19 AM

thosaka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Damn. I am afraid Subverted is right. I cannot go back to State Parks anymore to hunt for queens.

4305. Animals. 
a. Protection.  No person shall molest, hunt, disturb, harm, feed, touch, tease, or spotlight any kind of animal or fish, or so attempt.
b. No person shall injure, trap, take, net, poison, or kill, any kind of animal or fish, or so attempt, except that fish and bait may be taken, other than for commercial purposes in accordance with state laws and regulations.
c. Where hunting in a state recreation area or within the State Vehicular Recreation Area and Trail System or portion thereof is permitted by regulations herein, so much of this section as is inconsistent therewith shall be deemed inapplicable, provided hunting is conducted in the manner specified.
d. This section does not apply to activities undertaken by the Department in conjunction with its resource management activities.
(e. Feeding.  In units or portions thereof where posted in accordance with Section 4301(i), no person shall feed any wildlife or feral animal listed on such posting.

90 days jail or 1000 dollar fine....

It seems like there is no such rule for national forests so I may have to stick to national forests for now. I will call the state park tomorrow to double check with their rules. Goodbye Desert State park~

Edited by Tagassi, April 2 2017 - 10:25 AM.

#12 Offline klawfran3 - Posted April 2 2017 - 10:56 AM

klawfran3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Damn. I am afraid Subverted is right. I cannot go back to State Parks anymore to hunt for queens.

4305. Animals. 
a. Protection.  No person shall molest, hunt, disturb, harm, feed, touch, tease, or spotlight any kind of animal or fish, or so attempt.
b. No person shall injure, trap, take, net, poison, or kill, any kind of animal or fish, or so attempt, except that fish and bait may be taken, other than for commercial purposes in accordance with state laws and regulations.
c. Where hunting in a state recreation area or within the State Vehicular Recreation Area and Trail System or portion thereof is permitted by regulations herein, so much of this section as is inconsistent therewith shall be deemed inapplicable, provided hunting is conducted in the manner specified.
d. This section does not apply to activities undertaken by the Department in conjunction with its resource management activities.
(e. Feeding.  In units or portions thereof where posted in accordance with Section 4301(i), no person shall feed any wildlife or feral animal listed on such posting.

90 days jail or 1000 dollar fine....

It seems like there is no such rule for national forests so I may have to stick to national forests for now. I will call the state park tomorrow to double check with their rules. Goodbye Desert State park~

National forests allow collection of insects. It's weird how it works, but you can collect in them. National parks you cannot though.

• thosaka likes this

This message brought to you by the Committee for the Education of Folks who Describe Arthropod Taxa as 'Not Interesting' (CEFDATNI)

#13 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted April 2 2017 - 10:58 AM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts
  • LocationDracut, Massachusetts

I think Tagassi is the first person to ever back up their info regarding laws on ants...

Nice job.

Edited by Nathant2131, April 2 2017 - 10:59 AM.

• Martialis and thosaka like this

#14 Offline Subverted - Posted April 2 2017 - 11:32 AM

Subverted

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 447 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Here is a link for anyone else who wants to see the general regulations about California State Parks: https://www.parks.ca.../?page_id=21301and its worth noting that the MAXIMUM penalties are the 90 days and/or up to $1000 in fines. You would likely not be sent to jail for collecting bugs...but depending on the ranger and the amount you have (plus any evidence that you plan to sell them) its not beyond the realm of possibilities.

As far as I know all of these places are off limits to any kind of collecting:

California State Parks

California State Recreation Areas

California State Wildlife Refuges

California State Marine Reserves

California State Historic Parks

California State Natural Reserves

National Parks

National Recreational Areas

National Monuments

National Scenic and Historic Trails

National Wildlife Refuges

That might not be an exhaustive list...always research the laws that apply where you will be trying to collect things before you go. :) National forests should be good for non-commercial collection of bugs but if you plan to sell them you could be opening yourself up to legal problems (unless you get a commercial collecting permit from the forest service).

• drtrmiller, Nathant2131 and thosaka like this

My ants | My free feeder design | PM or email me if you need and 3d printing, cnc machining, or manufacturing done: http://www.lrmachining.com

Make your own mold/fungus/bacteria resistant test tube water! Don't get ripped off! Read my simple guide: http://www.formicult...-simple-how-to/

"Self-education is, I firmly believe, the only kind of education there is." - Isaac Asimov

#15 Offline dspdrew - Posted April 2 2017 - 1:51 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

That's true. I don't remember exactly how I worded it. But does that mean any State grounds because aren't they all managed by the Dept. of Parks and Recreation?

Regardless I never had any real luck at the State parks because they're too many people there. Other than the Chaney trail and campground.

Chaney Trail is not a State park.

Here is a link for anyone else who wants to see the general regulations about California State Parks: https://www.parks.ca.../?page_id=21301and its worth noting that the MAXIMUM penalties are the 90 days and/or up to $1000 in fines. You would likely not be sent to jail for collecting bugs...but depending on the ranger and the amount you have (plus any evidence that you plan to sell them) its not beyond the realm of possibilities.

As far as I know all of these places are off limits to any kind of collecting:

California State Parks

California State Recreation Areas

California State Wildlife Refuges

California State Marine Reserves

California State Historic Parks

California State Natural Reserves

National Parks

National Recreational Areas

National Monuments

National Scenic and Historic Trails

National Wildlife Refuges

That might not be an exhaustive list...always research the laws that apply where you will be trying to collect things before you go. :) National forests should be good for non-commercial collection of bugs but if you plan to sell them you could be opening yourself up to legal problems (unless you get a commercial collecting permit from the forest service).

Don't tell them it's for research either. Hobby is the magic word.

• LC3 likes this

#16 Offline SoySauce - Posted April 2 2017 - 2:34 PM

SoySauce

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 300 posts
Oh, I thought w the campground down there...it's gotta fall in under one of those things Subverted listed (which is essentially all open public spaces!). Regardless, if I accidentally get locked up, I'm may post in this forum for someone to bail me out :)
  • thosaka likes this

#17 Offline Subverted - Posted April 2 2017 - 5:07 PM

Subverted

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 447 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Don't tell them it's for research either. Hobby is the magic word.

I've heard that you can actually get a collecting permit for insects fairly easily but that you need to get one from each National Forest that you plan to be collecting in (similar to firewood).

Edited by Subverted, April 2 2017 - 5:07 PM.

#18 Offline Alabama Anter - Posted April 2 2017 - 5:20 PM

Alabama Anter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts
  • LocationBoulder, Colorado

Hmmmm.... Does this apply to all states perhaps?

YJK

#19 Offline Subverted - Posted April 2 2017 - 7:44 PM

Subverted

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 447 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Hmmmm.... Does this apply to all states perhaps?

Some states have more strict environmental protection laws (California is generally regarded as one) and some don't...but in the federally controlled lands I listed (besides National Forests and BLM land) it is usually illegal to collect anything.
  • Alabama Anter likes this

#20 Offline Antking117 - Posted April 2 2017 - 8:17 PM

Antking117

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts
  • LocationOmaha, Nebraska, USA

I just went to fontenelle forest yesterday (because there is where i can see all the nests opening to see if they start flying soon) and I know there is no collecting at all there. I've been to many state parks in my life all around the US and have encountered no collecting signs at I would bet every one of them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users