• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Ant Documentary?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Antlover31 - Posted March 31 2017 - 7:43 PM

Antlover31

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationPoconos, Pennsylvania, United States

Hello ant lovers,

My name is Billy Washenik. I am junior at a preparatory school in PA. I have tried to figure out what to do this summer. After a lot of thought I have decided to do a true documentary about ant collections, ant species, history of keeping ants as pets, current ways of keeping ants, and companies/people who influence other ant keepers ie. dspdrew, Ants Canada, Tar Heel Ants.

Just thoughts here. Please give me your thoughts on this and who you think should be in the documentary.

Visit my site: www.myrmefun.com.

Billy Washenik

• ctantkeeper and Tgrmag like this

Billy Washenik  (y) 

Cell: (570) 517-6160

e-Mail: myrmefun@gmail.com

#2 Offline Miles - Posted March 31 2017 - 7:52 PM

Miles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • LocationFlorida & Arizona

Good luck!

PS, it's generally not a good idea to publicly give out your cell phone # online. I would strongly advise against doing so.

Edited by Miles, March 31 2017 - 7:53 PM.

PhD Student & NSF Graduate Research Fellow | University of Florida Dept. of Entomology & Nematology - Lucky Ant Lab 

Founder & Director of The Ant Network. Ant keeper since 2009. Insect ecologist and science communicator. He/Him.

#3 Offline Antlover31 - Posted March 31 2017 - 7:55 PM

Antlover31

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Oh! Thanks Miles! Spread the word!

Billy Washenik  (y) 

#4 Offline ctantkeeper - Posted March 31 2017 - 8:35 PM

ctantkeeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • LocationCT

YES!!! It's about time!!! However if I had to recommend a few things in the form of a list, It would probably be to emphasize these three things.

- Try to push the way the methods of keeping ants have changed over the years. The development of new products and ideas are happening at an exponential rate. Its as if we are at the dawn of some sort of "ant-renaissance". Seeing the journey from Berlin in the 90's to the U.S. in 2017 should make for a captivating story, Should even draw the interest from those who never even considered the existence of something like this before. 

- Try to show the diversity of ants and their many peculiar habits and forms. Ants are the most diverse of all the Eusocial insects. Maybe even offering some background will do some good. Maybe it's best to tell their story as well. I guess a lot is bound to happen in a 130 million year time span (evolving from wasps, surviving the KT extinction, thriving immediately after, developing agriculture, diversifying, taking over the world, etc.) . Who knows, some of it might be worth telling.

- Ant keeping might prove to be a rather "alien" concept to some. In this world where everyone sees them as pests, you are gonna need to show them why on earth someone would consider them to be pets. Do some interviews or share a few anecdotes / your own thoughts. In other words, tell the world why you care and why anyone should. Their incredibly complex societies, their importance to maintaining life as well know it, etc. 

Anyways, I wish you best of luck. Nice to meet you btw.

#5 Offline Antlover31 - Posted March 31 2017 - 8:42 PM

Antlover31

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

YES!!! It's about time!!! However if I had to recommend a few things in the form of a list, It would probably be to emphasize these three things.

- Try to push the way the methods of keeping ants have changed over the years. The development of new products and ideas are happening at an exponential rate. Its as if we are at the dawn of some sort of "ant-renaissance". Seeing the journey from Berlin in the 90's to the U.S. in 2017 should make for a captivating story, Should even draw the interest from those who never even considered the existence of something like this before. 

- Try to show the diversity of ants and their many peculiar habits and forms. Ants are the most diverse of all the Eusocial insects. Maybe even offering some background will do some good. Maybe it's best to tell their story as well. I guess a lot is bound to happen in a 130 million year time span (evolving from wasps, surviving the KT extinction, thriving immediately after, developing agriculture, diversifying, taking over the world, etc.) . Who knows, some of it might be worth telling.

- Ant keeping might prove to be a rather "alien" concept to some. In this world where everyone sees them as pests, you are gonna need to show them why on earth someone would consider them to be pets. Do some interviews or share a few anecdotes / your own thoughts. In other words, tell the world why you care and why anyone should. Their incredibly complex societies, their importance to maintaining life as well know it, etc. 

Anyways, I wish you best of luck. Nice to meet you btw.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THE INPUT!

SPREAD THE WORD!

Edited by Antlover31, March 31 2017 - 8:43 PM.

• ctantkeeper likes this

Billy Washenik  (y) 

#6 Offline Antking117 - Posted March 31 2017 - 9:15 PM

Antking117

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts
  • LocationOmaha, Nebraska, USA

I already see it. A long time maybe a year or more of extensive research. Making the documentary, Editing. It sound like a lot of work, and i wish you all the luck in the world, make it good!

• Antlover31 likes this

#7 Offline Antlover31 - Posted March 31 2017 - 9:19 PM

Antlover31

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

I already see it. A long time maybe a year or more of extensive research. Making the documentary, Editing. It sound like a lot of work, and i wish you all the luck in the world, make it good!

THANK YOU! SPREAD THE WORD!!!!

Billy Washenik  (y) 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users