• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

what's the deal with feeding fruit?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Socalfireants - Posted March 31 2017 - 6:24 AM

Socalfireants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

I've heard of people killing their colonies by giving pesticide contaminated fruit to their Ants accidentally. How do you get around this ?

#2 Offline Alabama Anter - Posted March 31 2017 - 6:26 AM

Alabama Anter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts
  • LocationBoulder, Colorado

Buy fruit that says 'organic' or pick your own fruit from your garden. Also, local farmers/minor farmers don't usually use pesticides so ask around on that.

YJK

#3 Offline Serafine - Posted March 31 2017 - 6:33 AM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany
In Europe there are "bio" seals that guarantee pesticide-free fruits. Alnatura for example has only "bio" products. I gave my ants frozen raspberry bits and they liked it.

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

#4 Offline drtrmiller - Posted March 31 2017 - 8:15 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

In Europe there are "bio" seals that guarantee pesticide-free fruits.

If these designations are similar to organic certification in the US, they may only indicate that certain chemicals are not used as pesticides or herbicides. Organic produce farmers in the US often do use more natural pesticides and fertilizers, some of which can be dangerous to ants.

See: https://blogs.scient...al-agriculture/

In addition to pesticides or other harmful chemicals present on farmed produce, fruit mostly contains the sugar fructose, which is less preferred by ants to sucrose. Finally, as anyone who has left fruit in the refrigerator for too long can attest, the high water content in fruit makes it an excellent breeding ground for mold.

In my view, the risks of feeding questionable fruit far outweigh the possible benefits.
  • Barristan and Works4TheGood like this

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#5 Offline Socalfireants - Posted March 31 2017 - 8:34 AM

Socalfireants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

In Europe there are "bio" seals that guarantee pesticide-free fruits.

If these designations are similar to organic certification in the US, they may only indicate that certain chemicals are not used as pesticides or herbicides. Organic produce farmers in the US often do use more natural pesticides and fertilizers, some of which can be dangerous to ants.

See: https://blogs.scient...al-agriculture/

In addition to pesticides or other harmful chemicals present on farmed produce, fruit mostly contains the sugar fructose, which is less preferred by ants to sucrose. Finally, as anyone who has left fruit in the refrigerator for too long can attest, the high water content in fruit makes it an excellent breeding ground for mold.

In my view, the risks of feeding questionable fruit far outweigh the possible benefits.

Then how do I go about feeding my ants a variety of natural plant matter? Both fruits and veggies are dangerous to ants. Yet i see many professional antkeepers who say ants NEED to be given fruit like apples. Staying away from produce effectively narrows down the variety of food I can give them. (In terms of non factory processed foods)

#6 Offline drtrmiller - Posted March 31 2017 - 8:47 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts
No knowledgeable or experienced antkeeper would say ants "need" fruits and/or vegetables.

Ants need water, sugars, proteins, vitamins, and minerals to grow. The source of these nutrients doesn't matter, so long as they are readily consumed and in a bioavailable form (for example, we know that ants don't appear to derive much benefit from whey or casein, both milk proteins).

Many ants will thrive given a diet of sugar water (i.e. Sunburst Ant Nectar) and freshly killed insects like crickets, mealworms, waxworms, and others.

Edited by drtrmiller, March 31 2017 - 8:50 AM.

• ctantkeeper, Barristan and Kevin like this

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users