• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Rice and potato for ants?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Offline thosaka - Posted March 27 2017 - 10:53 AM

thosaka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
Is it a myth that if ants eat rice, they explode? Are we talking about cooked or uncooked rice? Has anyone ever given ants some potato (mashed, baked, fried)? A potato is high in carb, low in fiber and protein, and has vitamins.

#2 Offline Cindy - Posted March 27 2017 - 11:51 AM

Cindy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
  • LocationRandolph, MA

The "logic" behind this idea is that the ants will carry the uncooked grits or rice back to their nests and feed them to their larvae. After eating the larvae will explode when the grains "expand" inside of them.

This is a myth, kind of like the idea that swallowing a watermelon seed whole will cause a watermelon to grow inside of your stomach (which is impossible b/c your stomach enzymes will break down and digest the food).

It is probably safe to feed potatoes and rice to ants, so as long as you wash it carefully /pick up organic produce.

• drtrmiller and Jelly like this

#3 Offline thosaka - Posted March 27 2017 - 12:15 PM

thosaka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

The "logic" behind this idea is that the ants will carry the uncooked grits or rice back to their nests and feed them to their larvae. After eating the larvae will explode when the grains "expand" inside of them.
This is a myth, kind of like the idea that swallowing a watermelon seed whole will cause a watermelon to grow inside of your stomach (which is impossible b/c your stomach enzymes will break down and digest the food).

It is probably safe to feed potatoes and rice to ants, so as long as you wash it carefully /pick up organic produce.

Thanks for answer. I assume it wouldn't happen if it is cooked rice since the rice has already expanded?
  • Cindy likes this

#4 Offline Jelly - Posted March 27 2017 - 12:16 PM

Jelly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

The "logic" behind this idea is that the ants will carry the uncooked grits or rice back to their nests and feed them to their larvae. After eating the larvae will ...

Thanks for answer. I assume it wouldn't happen if it is cooked rice since the rice has already expanded?

It won't happen cooked or uncooked, its a "myth". A common one too, I've heard birds explode as well... lol

• Cindy likes this

#5 Offline Barristan - Posted March 27 2017 - 12:18 PM

Barristan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts
  • LocationBindlach, Bavaria, Germany

deleted

Edited by Barristan, April 29 2017 - 1:22 PM.

• Nathant2131 and thosaka like this

#6 Offline Works4TheGood - Posted April 1 2017 - 8:29 PM

Works4TheGood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 417 posts
  • LocationState College, PA
I had no idea that ants would show any interest in a potatoe. Were these guys out of sugarwater or water at the time?
  • Barristan likes this
~Dan

#7 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted April 1 2017 - 8:40 PM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

They are probably drinking from it. Potatoes are very starchy, and only certain genera from Myrmicinae can digest starches.

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

Black lives still matter.

#8 Offline thosaka - Posted April 1 2017 - 9:24 PM

thosaka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

They are probably drinking from it. Potatoes are very starchy, and only certain genera from Myrmicinae can digest starches.

Interesting. What happens if they eat something they cannot digest? Will it be bad for them?

#9 Offline MichiganAnts - Posted April 5 2017 - 8:22 AM

MichiganAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts
  • LocationMichigan

i generally will just throw random bits of food in to see if any colonies want it. last night i found out my large Camponotus Nove love fish sticks lol

Edited by MichiganAnts, April 5 2017 - 8:22 AM.

Owner of MichiganAnts, a YouTube Channel dedicated to all my Michigan colonies found and raise in my backyard

https://www.youtube.com/MichiganAnts

https://twitter.com/MichiganAnts

https://www.facebook.com/MichiganAnts/

Keeper of:

Camponotus Pennsylvanicus

Camponotus Noveboracensis

Tetramorium

#10 Offline CallMeCraven - Posted April 5 2017 - 11:07 AM

CallMeCraven

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
  • LocationElko, NV

The rice bit is a myth. Rice is just a grain harvested from grasses, just like the kentucky bluegrass seeds you would feed Pogonomyrmex colony.

Current Colony:

4x Camponotus (hyatti?)

Harmony with land is like harmony with a friend; you cannot cherish his right hand and chop off his left.

-Aldo Leopold

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users