• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Ant eye sight

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Tgrmag - Posted March 27 2017 - 3:30 AM

Tgrmag

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I was wondering if ants could see inferred or red light? I've done some reading online and seen conflicting reports on what wave leingths they could and couldn't see.

My reasons for asking are two fold, mainly I want to make sure any colony I have stay warm enough, living in Wisconsin it gets cold here and I've already lost a tokay gecko because of a bad cold snap a few years ago, I don't want my ants to suffer the same fate. Another reason I'm asking is I haven't seen videos of ants in the test tube setup, and it seems like a amazing time so I wanted to set up a cheap IR camera and record it

#2 Offline Antking117 - Posted March 27 2017 - 3:37 AM

Antking117

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts
  • LocationOmaha, Nebraska, USA

Well inferred light is heat, if they could see that (which I'm not sure about) nothing you can do about it. As far as red light being seen I have read over and over on here that peoples ants def react through red light. However this may be species specific as there has also been some accounts of people using red light to light up their formicarium and it not bother the ants what so ever. Just keep the nest at the correct temperature and humidity and they shouldn't die off. (shouldn't i emphesis is important cause my ants never make it the winter)

#3 Offline Tgrmag - Posted March 27 2017 - 4:17 AM

Tgrmag

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Thank you for your input Antking. I will be doing everything I can to ensure the temp and humidity stay correct, but since I'm currently living in a small trailer made in the 1970s and haven't been here for a real winter yet I'd rather air on the side of caution and have extra heat sources ready just in case, and
I want to make sure that they don't negititvly affect the colony

#4 Offline Antking117 - Posted March 27 2017 - 4:20 AM

Antking117

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts

what ant species?

#5 Offline Tgrmag - Posted March 27 2017 - 4:26 AM

Tgrmag

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Lasius Neoniger or Formica spp

#6 Offline drtrmiller - Posted March 27 2017 - 4:34 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts
Please see discussion here:

http://www.formicult...s-much-happier/

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#7 Offline Tgrmag - Posted March 27 2017 - 4:44 AM

Tgrmag

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Thank you, I will be reading it a few more times to help determine my winter setup

#8 Offline Antking117 - Posted March 27 2017 - 4:50 AM

Antking117

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts

COULD NOT FIND IT thank you

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users