• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

I can't find anything!!!

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Offline MrUrrutia - Posted March 26 2017 - 5:30 AM

MrUrrutia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
Hello everybody... This is a complete noob question, I see that everyone it's talking about their colonies waking up and laying eggs and getting some queens!

I have walked my yard and around my block keeping constant awareness of anything that move on the floor, windows and even anthills and i have not found anything, I don't have any experience on this arts so i want to ask your opinion: it's too early on the season and I'm overstressing, it's there something else that I'm missing, some tricks that will help to increase my chances?

I'm located on the northwest of Florida (Panama City), the weather its getting better but we are still on the 60-70's mark, we have a couple of small showers with moderated wind after.

Thanks

"Where must we go, we who wander this wasteland, in search of our better selves?"

-The First History Man

#2 Offline MrPurpleB - Posted March 26 2017 - 6:04 AM

MrPurpleB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA
Have you tried going to more natural places like forests or national parks? Most ant species are found outside of cities. When you find anthills try to fun their species and see when they fly. Not all ants fly during the same months.

#3 Offline MrUrrutia - Posted March 26 2017 - 6:26 AM

MrUrrutia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
I have visited with my kids a couple of local small parks without success... I think that we are still too early on season and that is why i have not seen anything, my qreally stupid schedule at work got me stuck most of the day so I'm worried that I'm going to miss the nuptial flights!

"Where must we go, we who wander this wasteland, in search of our better selves?"

-The First History Man

#4 Offline Vanko - Posted March 26 2017 - 6:46 AM

Vanko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • LocationPlovdiv, Bulgaria
First and most important: where are you from?
😛 🐜 😛

#5 Offline MrUrrutia - Posted March 26 2017 - 6:53 AM

MrUrrutia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
Panama city Florida

-The First History Man

#6 Offline AntsBrazil - Posted March 26 2017 - 6:57 AM

AntsBrazil

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  • LocationRio de Janeiro - Brazil

Always keep with you a small container that you can capture some queens, probably more than one. Wait for a strong rain followed by hot days and there will probably be ants flying.

Owner of:

Atta sexdens

Camponotus rufipes

Camponotus cf. puntulactus

Pachycondyla striata

Solenopsis saevissima

#7 Offline Vanko - Posted March 26 2017 - 7:11 AM

Vanko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • LocationPlovdiv, Bulgaria
Check this one to see which species are outside right now https://m.youtube.co...h?v=WfaK8TvM0qA
Than check which is their habitat so you will know where to search them. I found some messor structors just by walking on the sidewalk. Also I saw a lot of smacked ones.
😛 🐜 😛

#8 Offline thosaka - Posted March 26 2017 - 9:17 AM

thosaka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
It can sometimes depend on location, my entire area and street has absoluetly no ants, almost as if they sprayed alot of pesticides before they built this place, not a single worker ant above ground in sight. What's funny is that this suburban area has farms less than a mile away. I have to go farther away, sometimes an hour or two away by drive to another national or state park here in Cali to find any ants. As they say in the real estate industry, location location location.

Edited by Tagassi, March 26 2017 - 9:19 AM.

#9 Offline MrUrrutia - Posted March 26 2017 - 7:26 PM

MrUrrutia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

thanks for the guidance guys, based on what is locally found and the current conditions of weather we are still to cold and too early on the season... I have seen a lot of activity of ants on my area but we have reach maybe one or two days over 74 degrees and with really low humidity levels, so I guess I'm just being too impatient and freaking out about it!

-The First History Man

#10 Offline Ants4fun - Posted March 26 2017 - 8:33 PM

Ants4fun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota
Wait a couple months. It will be hard not to find queens.

#11 Offline Antking117 - Posted March 26 2017 - 8:35 PM

Antking117

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts
  • LocationOmaha, Nebraska, USA

Wait a couple months. It will be hard not to find queens.

It will remain hard for my incompetent abilities.

Edited by antking117, March 26 2017 - 8:35 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users