• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Inexpensive Macro and Wide Angle Lenses

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Offline OmniusClone - Posted March 24 2017 - 11:42 PM

OmniusClone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • LocationLindsay, CA
So as a poor person, I don't have the means to purchase a decent camera.
However, I did have a co-worker say something about these little clip-on lenses you can throw on your phone. I looked on Amazon, and there are a couple for around $25, but I'm a little hesitant to spend the cash on something that could turn out to be a useless gimmick. Has anyone had any experience with these things? Any input would be much appreciated. ☺

Also, I wasn't very sure where to post this question so I figured 'General' would be a good starting place. Mods feel free to move if it's inappropriate.

#2 Offline Antking117 - Posted March 25 2017 - 12:05 AM

Antking117

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts
  • LocationOmaha, Nebraska, USA

The new droid with the clip on backs that do different things are nice, but that is a different phone and each add on is 200$.. Either way very very nice phone. I am getting one with my new upgrade soon :)

#3 Offline Zeiss - Posted March 25 2017 - 12:30 AM

Zeiss

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationFountain Valley

You might want to try looking at BLIPS.  I might get some myself to try them out since they seem relatively cheap and work fairly well from what I have seen.  

#4 Offline BMM - Posted March 25 2017 - 10:09 AM

BMM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

I bought a clip on lens for less than $10 at Walmart. It's not bad, although not quite good enough to get a close up photo of an ant. However, I read an article about using the lens from a peep hole (the kind on most people's front doors), so I tried that. Once again, not quite enough, but when I put the two together I can get pretty decent photos. All together it was maybe $15 dollars. There's also the laser pointer trick. That'll only cost you about one or two bucks.

#5 Offline soulsynapse - Posted March 25 2017 - 11:59 AM

soulsynapse

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts
  • LocationSoCal

$6.29 shipped, 12x and 24x zoom

I used this to shoot this video:

Edited by soulsynapse, March 25 2017 - 12:00 PM.

Come join 3,400 other ant keepers on the Antkeeping Discord

14,000 messages a day

Friendly and helpful :D

#6 Offline OmniusClone - Posted March 25 2017 - 7:27 PM

OmniusClone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • LocationLindsay, CA
Wow soulsynapse, that's awesome resolution from that thing! And exactly the kind of deal I was looking for. 😃 Did you have to use a tripod or some kind of rest for that, or just try and steady your hands?

The BLIPS look really cool as well, Ziess.
A bit more expensive, but you do have the option of a miniature lab set-up with basically just your phone. Do you know if they accept USD?

BMM, that sounds like a bit of a balancing act. O-o lol Aren't you worried it'll slip and scratch your lens?

Antking177, good luck with that man... That is waaay too rich for my blood.. O-o

#7 Offline soulsynapse - Posted March 25 2017 - 9:41 PM

soulsynapse

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Wow soulsynapse, that's awesome resolution from that thing! And exactly the kind of deal I was looking for. Did you have to use a tripod or some kind of rest for that, or just try and steady your hands?

A bit more expensive, but you do have the option of a miniature lab set-up with basically just your phone. Do you know if they accept USD?

BMM, that sounds like a bit of a balancing act. O-o lol Aren't you worried it'll slip and scratch your lens?

Antking177, good luck with that man... That is waaay too rich for my blood.. O-o

The lens itself comes with a rest that positions it the exact distance it needs to be to capture good footage

Come join 3,400 other ant keepers on the Antkeeping Discord

14,000 messages a day

Friendly and helpful :D

#8 Offline Zeiss - Posted March 25 2017 - 11:03 PM

Zeiss

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts

Wow soulsynapse, that's awesome resolution from that thing! And exactly the kind of deal I was looking for. Did you have to use a tripod or some kind of rest for that, or just try and steady your hands?

I see no reason why they would not accept USD.  It would just be converted to their currency in the payment process. 

#9 Offline OmniusClone - Posted March 25 2017 - 11:27 PM

OmniusClone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • LocationLindsay, CA
To be honest, that now seems like a dumb question Zeiss. I feel I should have known that. Lol 😐

That whole setup is really cool, soulsynapse. I think I'll have to give that the go ahead. Although I've got to say the BLIPS look really cool, and I'll probably end up trying those out at some point.

Edited by OmniusClone, March 25 2017 - 11:27 PM.

#10 Offline Zeiss - Posted March 25 2017 - 11:57 PM

Zeiss

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts

To be honest, that now seems like a dumb question Zeiss. I feel I should have known that. Lol

That whole setup is really cool, soulsynapse. I think I'll have to give that the go ahead. Although I've got to say the BLIPS look really cool, and I'll probably end up trying those out at some point.

Haha, it is fine.  Good luck with your purchases.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users