• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Keeping Multiple Solenopsis Invicta Queens

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Offline theneuro - Posted March 23 2017 - 5:33 PM

theneuro

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

I recently stumbled upon a Solenopsis Invicta colony presumably migrating to a new nest. I was able to capture a little over ten queens, as well as a few workers. I am currently keeping them in a small starter formicarium, where they have adjusted quite well.

Now that the queens will be kept in close approximation to each other, will they kill each other? Will they be okay with only a small amount of workers? What should I be feeding them? Any other advice would be greatly appreciated.

#2 Offline Mdrogun - Posted March 23 2017 - 6:26 PM

Mdrogun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • LocationGainesville, FL

Can you give us some pictures of this colony? Unfortunately, it's likely that you found virgin queens that will be unable to produce worker offspring. In the future, you should search for queens you see wandering on the ground without wings. They should not have any workers with them.

Currently Keeping:
Trachymyrmex septentrionalis

Pheidole pilifera

Forelius sp. (Monogynous, bicolored) "Midwestern Forelius"
Crematogaster cerasi

Pheidole bicarinata

Aphaenogaster rudis

Camponotus chromaiodes

Formica sp. (microgena species)

Nylanderia cf. arenivega

#3 Offline theneuro - Posted March 23 2017 - 7:19 PM

theneuro

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

None of them had wings, so I assumed they had already mated. Is it a common occurrence for virgin queens to shed their wings prematurely?

http://imgur.com/a/ACSyX

Edited by theneuro, March 23 2017 - 7:20 PM.

#4 Offline Works4TheGood - Posted March 23 2017 - 7:22 PM

Works4TheGood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 417 posts
  • LocationState College, PA

None of them had wings, so I assumed they had already mated. Is it a common occurrence for virgin queens to shed their wings prematurely?
http://imgur.com/a/ACSyX

My guess is that they're fertile then.
~Dan

#5 Offline T.C. - Posted March 23 2017 - 7:35 PM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts

None of them had wings, so I assumed they had already mated. Is it a common occurrence for virgin queens to shed their wings prematurely?http://imgur.com/a/ACSyX

Hmm... I think I am going to have to go against this. Selenopsis queens have been well known to remove their wings in colonies, remaining infertile and act more like workers within the colony. Although I may be wrong. It would be interesting to see if they are fertile. I recommend you keep them @theneuro and see if you get workers.
“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

#6 Offline Works4TheGood - Posted March 23 2017 - 7:46 PM

Works4TheGood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 417 posts

None of them had wings, so I assumed they had already mated. Is it a common occurrence for virgin queens to shed their wings prematurely?http://imgur.com/a/ACSyX

Hmm... I think I am going to have to go against this. Selenopsis queens have been well known to remove their wings in colonies, remaining infertile and act more like workers within the colony. Although I may be wrong. It would be interesting to see if they are fertile. I recommend you keep them @theneuro and see if you get workers.

I'll trust to your expertise. I don't know specifics on this species since they haven't reached State College, PA yet.  Sounds like they're pretty oddball.

Edited by Works4TheGood, March 24 2017 - 4:54 AM.

~Dan

#7 Offline Works4TheGood - Posted March 23 2017 - 7:49 PM

Works4TheGood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 417 posts

Oops!  I accidentally submitted a duplicate post

Edited by Works4TheGood, March 24 2017 - 4:54 AM.

~Dan

#8 Offline Leo - Posted March 23 2017 - 8:18 PM

Leo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,513 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

well if you found them with multiple queens, might be fine

#9 Offline Alabama Anter - Posted March 28 2017 - 9:01 AM

Alabama Anter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts
  • LocationBoulder, Colorado

Where are you from? In the gulf states, it is VERY common for huge colonies to have multiple queens. I have seen colonies with queens buried 1 inch from the surface that are fertile.

YJK

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users