• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Need help designing a formicarium

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Yuki - Posted March 16 2017 - 3:50 PM

Yuki

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

91iRkUdJNIL._SL1500_.jpgI recently ran out of ferrero rocher chocolates and am now sitting around with the empty box and plastic insert. It's one of the long, flat 48-piece diamond gift boxes and I was thinking that for small species it would make an ideal large nest. The plastic insert is the perfect size for colony chambers and can be glued on, but I'm not so sure what to do about a water source. The whole thing is plastic, after all.
Does anyone have any ideas about this?

Edited by Yuki, March 16 2017 - 3:53 PM.

#2 Offline MrPurpleB - Posted March 16 2017 - 4:46 PM

MrPurpleB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

This reminds of a plastic bead organizer formicaruim i saw on youtube. I also believe there is forum thread discussing on how to build a plastic bead organizer formicaruim. Maybe taking a similar approach for the hydration system. For instance, you can put a sponge or a similar water absorbent material into one of the chocolate holders. i would suggest adding a substrate on the plastic to help distinguish darker color ants from the plastic and to allow the water to be absorbed in the substrate. These are just my thoughts, and I am still new to building ant habitats. 

#3 Offline thosaka - Posted March 16 2017 - 5:05 PM

thosaka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
How thick is the container without the lid, it might be difficult to use it as a mold if the thickness is too little because you won't be able to carve as much.

#4 Offline MrPurpleB - Posted March 16 2017 - 5:11 PM

MrPurpleB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts

How thick is the container without the lid, it might be difficult to use it as a mold if the thickness is too little because you won't be able to carve as much.

I assume the box is pretty thin, so it would be recommendable to add a substrate as a layer. Possibly, a grout mix to create the layer, which can help absorb water, without carving the thin plastic. 

#5 Offline Yuki - Posted March 16 2017 - 5:21 PM

Yuki

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

I think it's too small to use grout in, unfortunately. Otherwise I would only be able to use the box and not the insert. It's entirely possible to put something into the side of the box though. Maybe a grout column?

Edited by Yuki, March 16 2017 - 5:22 PM.

#6 Offline MrPurpleB - Posted March 16 2017 - 5:26 PM

MrPurpleB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Well I just thinking a really small layer, maybe 1mm, if that is possible. Adding on the grout column, maybe cut off a section, and make a wall of grout or some water absorbent material. Afterwards, put a sponge to hydrate the grout. If you cannot add grout maybe add dirt, just a really small layer. Or you can add cotton balls randomly, and hydrate the cotton balls every time they lose water, but they can get moldy. 

#7 Offline thosaka - Posted March 16 2017 - 5:44 PM

thosaka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

I also want to add if you use an app on your smartphone like "Letgo" or "Close5," most likely, you can find people in your area who are selling their aquarium/fish tank for a really good price.

Edited by Tagassi, March 16 2017 - 5:44 PM.

#8 Offline Alabama Anter - Posted March 16 2017 - 5:47 PM

Alabama Anter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts
  • LocationBoulder, Colorado

I also want to add if you use an app on your smartphone like "Letgo" or "Close5," most likely, you can find people in your area who are selling their aquarium/fish tank for a really good price.

Yeah letgo is pretty good. I got a ten gallon tank for $7
  • thosaka likes this

YJK

#9 Offline thosaka - Posted March 17 2017 - 10:12 PM

thosaka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

I am making a big 21" x 11" firebrick formicarium using this mold I just bought today:

http://www.usplastic...px?itemid=28297

It is bend resistant and can hold loads up to 2000 lbs.

I hope this site helps.

Edited by Tagassi, March 17 2017 - 10:14 PM.

#10 Offline Yuki - Posted March 19 2017 - 9:45 AM

Yuki

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

I could get a 10 gallon aquarium but feel that this is both far too much space for a colony of nylanderia sp. and far too much space in my room, unfortunately. I believe I can find some other containers to keep this species in but was hoping to use the chocolate box. I will experiment and report the results.

Thank you very much for your help!

#11 Offline Works4TheGood - Posted March 19 2017 - 1:35 PM

Works4TheGood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 417 posts
  • LocationState College, PA
I haven't read any of the responses, but I know that getting the temperature gradient, humidity gradient, and ventilation correct are tricky. Buy a few hygrometer probes and use them to check your conditions. Try to give your ants a proven alternative too in case there is something wrong with your setup that you can't detect. That is just my advice. Good luck!

Edited by Works4TheGood, March 19 2017 - 1:37 PM.

• thosaka likes this
~Dan

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users