• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Moving Tiny Species?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Aaron567 - Posted March 14 2017 - 1:56 PM

Aaron567

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts
  • LocationPensacola, FL

I am keeping 3 "tiny" species of ants (under 2mm), and none of them seem to ever want to move nests on their own. I always have to force move them. They won't move with light or heat. I am currently trying to move my Pheidole navigans colony, and its only been 24 hours but it doesn't look like they are going to move, because they never do. Has anyone ever had success with moving tiny species? They are so stubborn.

#2 Offline Bracchymyrmex - Posted March 14 2017 - 2:18 PM

Bracchymyrmex

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, Pennsylvania

Do you also have difficulty moving your Brachymyrmex?

#3 Offline Aaron567 - Posted March 14 2017 - 2:25 PM

Aaron567

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts
  • LocationPensacola, FL

Yes. My Brachymyrmex patagonicus, Pheidole navigans, and Pheidole bicarinata all won't move on their own.

• Bracchymyrmex likes this

#4 Offline Bracchymyrmex - Posted March 14 2017 - 2:51 PM

Bracchymyrmex

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, Pennsylvania

Yes. My Brachymyrmex patagonicus, Pheidole navigans, and Pheidole bicarinata all won't move on their own.

That's odd. And it's never happened with bigger species?

#5 Offline Aaron567 - Posted March 14 2017 - 3:01 PM

Aaron567

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts
  • LocationPensacola, FL

That's odd. And it's never happened with bigger species?

'

Well, I am very impatient with moving my colonies of larger species and I usually just force move them, but I know they are indeed a lot less stubborn. 

#6 Offline Alabama Anter - Posted March 14 2017 - 3:43 PM

Alabama Anter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts
  • LocationBoulder, Colorado

My ​Pheidole pallidula ​are forced moved as well...

YJK

#7 Offline Works4TheGood - Posted March 14 2017 - 7:12 PM

Works4TheGood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 417 posts
  • LocationState College, PA
Why do you want them to move? I can't say for sure, but I would think that inducing a move would cause additional stress on the queen and colony. I would let them move when they are ready and not worry about it, but that's just my opinion.
  • thosaka likes this
~Dan

#8 Offline Socalfireants - Posted March 15 2017 - 6:14 AM

Socalfireants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

If they aren't moving it might mean that they don't need or want to move. Ants seem to like the most cramped spaces possible in most cases. Maybe they just aren't ready. Additional outworlds could give them more space until they are ready. that's really the only other option than a force move.

#9 Offline Aaron567 - Posted March 15 2017 - 3:04 PM

Aaron567

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts
  • LocationPensacola, FL

Eventually the colony that I was trying to move did move, with some heat from a heat cable. I really only move my colonies when the test tube gets moldy, and this colony always tends to make their test tubes very moldy in a short amount of time. Almost the entire piece of cotton was black.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users