• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Brachymyrmex Depilis Colony

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Bracchymyrmex - Posted March 14 2017 - 10:00 AM

Bracchymyrmex

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, Pennsylvania

Hello, my brother (VoidElecent) and I caught a Brachymyrmex Depilis Queen late last year. She came out of hibernation about a month ago and has a healthy pile of brood. We are going to wait until the entire test tube setup is full of workers and brood to move them to a formicarium. However, we do not know what volume the formicarium we build should be. Can we make it bigger than the volume of the test tube? If so, how much bigger? 

I've also heard that Brachymymrex spend most of there time underground and do not need a large foraging area... Is this true?

(Reputation points awarded for the best answer)

#2 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted March 14 2017 - 10:03 AM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts
  • LocationDracut, Massachusetts

Good luck with her!

#3 Offline thosaka - Posted March 14 2017 - 10:15 AM

thosaka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
According to ant wiki, it says they can be general scavengers so I would assume they need some outworld space where you can drop dead insects into. They also tend to aphids and coccids underground so I would assume they herd underground meaning they don't have to forage for food above ground as much. Do you have aphids or coccids? My two sense says the outworld doesn't have to be that big. Drew or Nurbs would be better to answer.

Edited by Tagassi, March 14 2017 - 10:18 AM.

#4 Offline Canadian anter - Posted March 14 2017 - 11:17 AM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,542 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada

I think a brachymyrmex colony can survive it's entire life in a large test tube

Visit us at www.canada-ant-colony.com !

#5 Offline Bracchymyrmex - Posted March 14 2017 - 11:45 AM

Bracchymyrmex

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts

According to ant wiki, it says they can be general scavengers so I would assume they need some outworld space where you can drop dead insects into. They also tend to aphids and coccids underground so I would assume they herd underground meaning they don't have to forage for food above ground as much. Do you have aphids or coccids? My two sense says the outworld doesn't have to be that big. Drew or Nurbs would be better to answer.

I do not have aphids, nor do I know how to introduce them to a colony. Thank you for your comment however.

Good luck with her!

Thanks!

Edited by Bracchymyrmex, March 14 2017 - 11:53 AM.

#6 Offline Bracchymyrmex - Posted March 14 2017 - 11:53 AM

Bracchymyrmex

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts

I think a brachymyrmex colony can survive it's entire life in a large test tube

So I've heard as well but I would like to see them in a formicarium...

#7 Offline VoidElecent - Posted March 14 2017 - 11:56 AM

VoidElecent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA.

Let me clarify for you guys.

We caught our B. depilis queen during late October of last year. She is very healthy and very little. We took her out of hibernation about three weeks to a month ago, and she has a sizable brood; we're expecting workers within a week or two. Right now we have her in a standard 16x150mm test tube setup. We understand we could probably keep an entire colony in the tube for the duration of her life, but we're very interested in what it would be like to design and create our own formicarium. 

I want to move her out as soon as possible, so she has more time to get comfortable with her new formicarium (or I guess it'd be a founding chamber, at this point). We've both watched Crystals' grout-formicarium videos, and checked out multiple threads. We want to make her new nest something like the Tarheel Ants Inception Chamber, it seems practical, neat, and easy to maintain. We've been messing around with making sanded grout molds using petri dishes and molding clay. I'll share some of the results.

We have 1.5", 2" and 4" petri dishes we can use as molds; I personally think the 2" dish would be optimal. This is one of the issues we're having, we don't know what size would be the best option. The 1.5" would be great for an initial claustral chamber, but we can always sculpt the chambers to be a little smaller in the 2" if we need to.

We also have questions about hydration. We only have sanded grout at the moment, nothing special. I'll show you some of the ideas I had about hydration, I drilled holes in the sides and top of the formicarium. I just don't know how we can guarantee the grout will dampen  to the point where it'd be properly hydrated. We could always section off one of the chambers with cotton and fill it with water, to simulate the kind of hydration the queen was used to in the test tube.

I've made two holes in the grout mold. Theoretically, the mold would lay on the floor of an ideally sand outworld, so the entrance(s) of the formicarium would be level, if not underneath the sand. This way, the ants could bring sand in or out fairly easily and customize their nest to however they might like it.

Here's what we've been up to:

CE63BE5E-4E2F-40BA-9937-B9C422B15FFE_zps

8DEC733B-8CB1-4A71-90BA-6CE3BBAEDAEF_zps

65503974-D164-4F62-B6B1-05E52D88AD90_zps

801D6814-7D64-49C7-802C-3575C0B8C65E_zps

The red spots could be potential water towers, or pockets, or whatever you'd call them. The green highlights the chamber, of course and the yellow clouds highlight the entrances to the outworld (the larger being the entrance that the transportation tube would attach to during the move). The blue is the only current wanter tower I've drilled out.

Edited by VoidElecent, March 14 2017 - 11:59 AM.

• ctantkeeper, Martialis, Nathant2131 and 2 others like this

#8 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted March 14 2017 - 12:07 PM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts
  • LocationDracut, Massachusetts

That is really nice! I need to get into formicarium-building myself.

• VoidElecent likes this

#9 Offline Alabama Anter - Posted March 14 2017 - 12:26 PM

Alabama Anter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts
  • LocationBoulder, Colorado

Very nice Void. That will fit them for some time.

YJK

#10 Offline VoidElecent - Posted March 15 2017 - 6:51 AM

VoidElecent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA.

Anyone have any idea son how I could improve or alter this design?

• TheAntKing likes this

#11 Offline Kevin - Posted March 15 2017 - 11:07 AM

Kevin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  • LocationSouth Jersey

Make the watering chamber a bit further away from the chamber to avoid flooding and ants entering the chamber. For small species, use silicone or some form of glue as a barrier between the water chamber and regular chambers. The lowest red point on your diagram would be the most suitable spot. Also, use depth.

Hit "Like This" if it helped.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users