• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Moving larvae and eggs?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Foogoo - Posted March 30 2015 - 6:53 PM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Anyone have a trick? One of my Dorymyrmex brood finally developed into larvae aaaaand the queen decides to die. Now I'm going to try moving the brood that's stuck to the test tube glass.

Camponotus vicinus, Crematogaster 1, Crematogaster 2, Formica francoeuri, *, *, Myrmecocystus testaceus, Novomessor cockerelli, Pheidole hyatti, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, Solenopsis invicta

#2 Offline Crystals - Posted March 30 2015 - 6:57 PM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationAthabasca, AB (Canada)

I use a toothpick, lick your finger and touch the end of it.  The eggs will stick to the damp wood.  Just roll them off in the new test tube.

Or use feather weight forceps.

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

List of Handy Links   (pinned in the General section)

My Colonies

#3 Offline Foogoo - Posted March 30 2015 - 7:10 PM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts

I use a toothpick, lick your finger and touch the end of it.  The eggs will stick to the damp wood.  Just roll them off in the new test tube.

Or use feather weight forceps.

Trying this as we speak. Good idea on the toothpick, I don't have bamboo skewers so I'm going to try a takeout chopstick since they're too far in for a regular toothpick to reach.

Camponotus vicinus, Crematogaster 1, Crematogaster 2, Formica francoeuri, *, *, Myrmecocystus testaceus, Novomessor cockerelli, Pheidole hyatti, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, Solenopsis invicta

#4 Offline Miles - Posted March 30 2015 - 7:12 PM

Miles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • LocationFlorida & Arizona

I typically advise against the transfer of brood from queens who die spontaneously to healthy queens. Typically, you don't want to spread anything that could have caused the queen to die.

If you know the cause of death to be unrelated to anything transferable, that's a different conversation.

• Myrmicinae likes this

PhD Student & NSF Graduate Research Fellow | University of Florida Dept. of Entomology & Nematology - Lucky Ant Lab 

Founder & Director of The Ant Network. Ant keeper since 2009. Insect ecologist and science communicator. He/Him.

#5 Offline antmaniac - Posted March 30 2015 - 7:50 PM

antmaniac

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 507 posts

To avoid risks, follow Miles' advice.

To move larvae and eggs, roll a sheet of paper to any desired length. Either wet the tip or just put it in and lift up the larvae and eggs. It is softer than wood and while you doing this, feel free to rub the chubby larvae. You may want to feed them some honey while doing other things. The eggs may be a bit harder to move, the key is to make sure you lift them up in big cluster. Otherwise expect some to be squashed.

20150209 01

Also some maybe dead, usually appear in whole larva as black colour (like rotten boiled chicken egg). Get rid of them or the ants will move them out anyway.

• Foogoo likes this

#6 Offline Foogoo - Posted March 30 2015 - 8:10 PM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts

I've always thought about feeding the larvae directly, looks like it is possible!

feel free to rub the chubby larvae

:lol: For entertainment purposes or does this accomplish something?

Edited by Foogoo, March 30 2015 - 8:12 PM.

#7 Offline antmaniac - Posted March 30 2015 - 8:25 PM

antmaniac

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 507 posts

I've always thought about feeding the larvae directly, looks like it is possible!

It is possible, but I wouldn't recommend you doing this all the time. It is much better and easier to let ants do the feeding themselves.

feel free to rub the chubby larvae

:lol: For entertainment purposes or does this accomplish something?

I will leave this for you to find out.  :D

#8 Offline Jonathan21700 - Posted March 31 2015 - 12:31 PM

Jonathan21700

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 807 posts

I use the same method as Crystals but with a needle.

#9 Offline Foogoo - Posted April 2 2015 - 8:00 AM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts

I like the needle/toothpick method but that didn't work in this case because the test tube was too wet. I managed to get most of them (using a piece of brown paper on tweezers), placed them on a small piece of foil, and shoved the foil near another queen in a test tube assuming she'd trip on them or smell them. So far, they look untouched and probably dead. Could I have introduced them another way? 

#10 Offline dspdrew - Posted April 2 2015 - 8:50 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

I don't worry too much about spreading a problem to another queen by giving her a dead queen's brood. So far I've never noticed any obvious problems that resulted from that, and I have moved brood between colonies TONS of times. I think the majority of the deaths are probably not from something contagious. The only thing I would really worry about is mites. Before I move any brood, I always examine all of it under a microscope first.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users