• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

On the Hunt for C. herculeanus

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted March 14 2017 - 4:52 AM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts
  • LocationDracut, Massachusetts

I have noticed over the past few months that there are some really cool ant species that may not be common or are absent in my area (MA), but in other places in New England. One of these are Camponotus herculeanus, the most cold-tolerant ant in the world, whose range even extends into Northern Alaska. They can survive well below -40 C. There have been a couple vague records in MA, however they enjoy high elevations and colder climates; Like Northern NH and Maine. This will document my search for this species. Seems like a good first goal/checkpoint as a beginning hobbyist.

Camponotus_herculeanus%2C_Berlin%2C_New_

Looking at antmaps, there have been 4 graphed occurences in MA. However, what is catching my eye is those 3 bundled occurences  in Northern/Mid NH. This is the White Mountain National Forest! I may have to trip there when the time is right. I am not neccassarily looking for a flight or queen (that would be awesome though), but just a colony itself.

pu8K2fG.png

After some reading, this species (like many of our Camponotus) nest in living trees, stumps, and logs. Also, they have been collected at Mount Washington (further supporting they are in the White Mountain National Forest) and Mount Monadnock, which is not far from me at all.

Since it is only March and there is 20 inches of snow on the ground as I speak, this is the research process... I'll be looking as soon as it gets warm. Help appreciated, thanks!

Edited by Nathant2131, March 14 2017 - 5:09 AM.

#2 Offline noebl1 - Posted March 14 2017 - 5:22 AM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
  • LocationNorthern Massachusetts

Since we can't collect ants from NH legally, wonder about the Berkshires?  I'm not as familiar there, however used to live in Central MA so pretty familiar with those areas.  For Central MA, looks like ~Gardner, MA is where it was reported back in 2002.  However if you go a bit to the south in Hubbardston/Hardwick/Barre areas, or north a bit to Ashburnham/Athol/Winchendon, etc.  It's pretty rural 2nd or 3rd growth forests out there with a LOTs of conservation land areas and parks for hiking/fishing/etc where you can go anting.

• Nathant2131 likes this

#3 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted March 14 2017 - 5:36 AM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts

Since we can't collect ants from NH legally, wonder about the Berkshires?  I'm not as familiar there, however used to live in Central MA so pretty familiar with those areas.  For Central MA, looks like ~Gardner, MA is where it was reported back in 2002.  However if you go a bit to the south in Hubbardston/Hardwick/Barre areas, or north a bit to Ashburnham/Athol/Winchendon, etc.  It's pretty rural 2nd or 3rd growth forests out there with a LOTs of conservation land areas and parks for hiking/fishing/etc where you can go anting.

I've been looking there too- seems to be a few high elevations. 

#4 Offline noebl1 - Posted March 14 2017 - 5:44 AM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
  • LocationNorthern Massachusetts

hmmm actually what about Mt. Wachusett?  A good portion of that is wooded with hiking trails up the side (in addition to the paved roads).  Only the very top is cleared.

• Nathant2131 likes this

#5 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted March 14 2017 - 9:07 AM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts

hmmm actually what about Mt. Wachusett?  A good portion of that is wooded with hiking trails up the side (in addition to the paved roads).  Only the very top is cleared.

I'll check that out too. Seems pretty close.

#6 Offline thosaka - Posted March 14 2017 - 9:10 AM

thosaka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
If they live in logs and such, you don't have to dig. Nice :)
  • Nathant2131 likes this

#7 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted March 14 2017 - 9:12 AM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts

If they live in logs and such, you don't have to dig. Nice :)

You still have to crack em' open... but a lot better than digging by a long shot. We don't encounter open claustral cells in the sand as much as you guys in Calfornia do anyways.  :)

#8 Offline VoidElecent - Posted March 14 2017 - 9:35 AM

VoidElecent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA.

Good Luck on your search for C. herculanus.

Since I really only started to get fairly enthusiastic about anting late last year, my brother and I didn't have too much time left to search for flights or queens. In fact, my ant interest level of 2016 probably peaked during early/mid winter, so there weren't even very many workers foraging at the time. 

However, I was still determined to go anting whenever I could. This actually proved to work our pretty well for me; I stumbled upon a B. depilis flight in late November, and I didn't even know the species existed. After the Brachymyrmex flight and some other Lasius parasite findings, things started to wind down in Ambler, PA and I saw very few ants. 

For about a month or a month and a half after these early winter nuptial flights had ended, all I would see on the trails I commonly searched were relatively large, red Camponotus workers. I knew they were Camponotus, there was no doubt about that, but I didn't know too much about their particular species. At the time, there was not too much opportunity for research or any interesting documentation in the ant-world, so I dedicated a chunk of my time to identifying these workers on my own. 

I knew they were one of these, and my research pretty much stopped here:

1. Camponotus chromaiodes
  2. Camponotus novaeboracensis
  3. Camponotus hercleanus

I still don't think I've really identified them for sure, but now that I know little more about their behaviour, I really think they're C. hercleanus. Especially due to the time of year and temperature that they were foraging, I'm pretty confident about it now.

I don't really know for sure, but I think it's likely. Great post Nate!

Edited by VoidElecent, March 14 2017 - 9:37 AM.

• TheAntKing and thosaka like this

#9 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted March 14 2017 - 9:59 AM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts

Good Luck on your search for C. herculanus.

Since I really only started to get fairly enthusiastic about anting late last year, my brother and I didn't have too much time left to search for flights or queens. In fact, my ant interest level of 2016 probably peaked during early/mid winter, so there weren't even very many workers foraging at the time. 

However, I was still determined to go anting whenever I could. This actually proved to work our pretty well for me; I stumbled upon a B. depilis flight in late November, and I didn't even know the species existed. After the Brachymyrmex flight and some other Lasius parasite findings, things started to wind down in Ambler, PA and I saw very few ants. 

For about a month or a month and a half after these early winter nuptial flights had ended, all I would see on the trails I commonly searched were relatively large, red Camponotus workers. I knew they were Camponotus, there was no doubt about that, but I didn't know too much about their particular species. At the time, there was not too much opportunity for research or any interesting documentation in the ant-world, so I dedicated a chunk of my time to identifying these workers on my own. 

I knew they were one of these, and my research pretty much stopped here:

• Camponotus chromaiodes
  • Camponotus novaeboracensis
  • Camponotus hercleanus
I still don't think I've really identified them for sure, but now that I know little more about their behaviour, I really think they're C. hercleanus. Especially due to the time of year and temperature that they were foraging, I'm pretty confident about it now.

I don't really know for sure, but I think it's likely. Great post Nate!
If the legs were red and all/part of the propodeum was red, it is likely C. herculeanus, however I have doubts about finding this species in PA. I'll Pm you A Camponotus key.

#10 Offline MichiganAnts - Posted March 21 2017 - 8:08 AM

MichiganAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts
  • LocationMichigan

good luck on your hunt. my experience from hunting Camponotus in wood is if you know of any log piles. search them. you should find at least a few colonies of different sizes. 

Owner of MichiganAnts, a YouTube Channel dedicated to all my Michigan colonies found and raise in my backyard

https://www.youtube.com/MichiganAnts

https://twitter.com/MichiganAnts

https://www.facebook.com/MichiganAnts/

Keeper of:

Camponotus Pennsylvanicus

Camponotus Noveboracensis

Tetramorium

#11 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted March 21 2017 - 12:22 PM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

Alternatively, you could count yourself lucky to find a queen during a nuptial flight instead of tearing apart habitat looking for the rare, native ant, to remove an established colony from the wild. I mean I know it has a cool name, but the experience of keeping them isn't going to be much different than C. chromaiodes, with pretty much the same color scheme. If you do find Camponotus herculeanus, I hope you are mindful of their value in the wild as compared to their value in your captivity. I do not capture rare ants unless they are foundress queens.

edit//
To be clear, I am excited about this expedition! Even in Southern Maine, Camponotus herculeanus is pretty uncommon -- I have only ever identified two colonies, and it's frankly exciting to find this subtle ant. Sometimes it is enough to appreciate and learn from their presence in the wild without going through lengths to possess them. I am always against tearing apart habitat to obtain ants (which not only disturbs ants, but the many organisms which share that habitat). I recognize that the object value of my keeping ants as part of a hobby is almost null, so it's important to my sense of ethics to only collect in a way which is minimally impactful. I'd love to have a colony of Aphaenogaster tennesseensis, and if I wasn't started already with Camponotus pennsylvanicus, I would also love to raise C. herculeanus; however, the few thriving colonies in my area will stay that way so long as I have any say in it.

Edited by Batspiderfish, March 21 2017 - 2:49 PM.

• noebl1 and Nathant2131 like this

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

Black lives still matter.

#12 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted March 21 2017 - 3:10 PM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts

Alternatively, you could count yourself lucky to find a queen during a nuptial flight instead of tearing apart habitat looking for the rare, native ant, to remove an established colony from the wild. I mean I know it has a cool name, but the experience of keeping them isn't going to be much different than C. chromaiodes, with pretty much the same color scheme. If you do find Camponotus herculeanus, I hope you are mindful of their value in the wild as compared to their value in your captivity. I do not capture rare ants unless they are foundress queens.

edit//
To be clear, I am excited about this expedition! Even in Southern Maine, Camponotus herculeanus is pretty uncommon -- I have only ever identified two colonies, and it's frankly exciting to find this subtle ant. Sometimes it is enough to appreciate and learn from their presence in the wild without going through lengths to possess them. I am always against tearing apart habitat to obtain ants (which not only disturbs ants, but the many organisms which share that habitat). I recognize that the object value of my keeping ants as part of a hobby is almost null, so it's important to my sense of ethics to only collect in a way which is minimally impactful. I'd love to have a colony of Aphaenogaster tennesseensis, and if I wasn't started already with Camponotus pennsylvanicus, I would also love to raise C. herculeanus; however, the few thriving colonies in my area will stay that way so long as I have any say in it.

Not trying to capture a mature colony; Only if it is a dealate that has recently flown. I might try collecting just a couple workers for pinning if I have the right materials at the time.

other than that, really like the enthusiasm, and also I am surprised to hear you don't find them that much up in Maine. Do you remember the elevations or any other general info for which you have found these?

#13 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted March 21 2017 - 3:18 PM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

edit//

Not trying to capture a mature colony; Only if it is a dealate that has recently flown. I might try collecting just a couple workers for pinning if I have the right materials at the time.

other than that, really like the enthusiasm, and also I am surprised to hear you don't find them that much up in Maine. Do you remember the elevations or any other general info for which you have found these?

Only from the averages of the cities where they were found -- Portland ME is only about 62', Skowhegan is 223'. Elevation doesn't seem to matter as much, the closer they are to the climates which are too cold for their competitors.

• Nathant2131 likes this

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

Black lives still matter.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users