• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Southeast Georgia (Statesboro) — 2/23/2017

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Offline JFowler - Posted February 23 2017 - 12:05 PM

JFowler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

I found these tiny, tiny ants in my backyard, under a fallen window screen, beneath some dead leaves. There are a lot of oak trees in my yard, but these girls were next to a jelly palm. The queen was right under the screen and a single leaf; I didn't see any tunnels or holes in the ground. I couldn't find any eggs or larvae (other than a single egg being carried by a worker). They aren't very fast, but they were definitely active.

I have no reliable way to measure the queen's length, but I'd guess she's around 5-7mm long. I put a penny in my pictures to help for size referencing.

The workers look entirely brown; the majors and the queen have very dark (black) heads and gasters. I'm pretty sure this is a Pheidole species, but if anyone has any guesses as to what they are, exactly, I'd appreciate it. I'd love any tips for taking care of them; I like polymorphic species. I already have a 117colonies formicarium on the way that was going to be used for my Trachymyrmex septentrionalis colony, but they're fine as they are.

I apologize for the blurry pictures; these were taken with my Android Turbo phone camera.

http://www.formicult...rgia-—-2232017/

#2 Offline Alabama Anter - Posted February 23 2017 - 7:56 PM

Alabama Anter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts
  • LocationBoulder, Colorado

Nice! They do look like Pheidole!

YJK

#3 Offline JFowler - Posted February 23 2017 - 9:38 PM

JFowler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

I was amazed at how exposed they were, but yet, here they are.

I also caught a Solenopsis invicta queen on my way back from a class, later. Her nest (and hundreds of very irritated workers) were under a nice, sturdy rock, though. I noticed that she has little brown mites attached to her; I hope they're harmless.

#4 Offline T.C. - Posted February 23 2017 - 9:51 PM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts
This Selenopsis queen, did you take her from a wild colony? Does she have wings by any chance? How do you know she is fertile. Also from personal experience, anytime there is mites on ants they end up dying. Mites are harmful.

Edited by T.C., February 23 2017 - 9:52 PM.

“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

#5 Offline JFowler - Posted February 23 2017 - 11:07 PM

JFowler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Yes, she was taken from a wild colony, but she has no wings— I'm assuming she is the active queen. I broke into a few fire ant nests earlier today, looking for queens; I haven't seen a single winged alate.

I've noticed that Mikey Bustos has been having mite trouble with one of his colonies, lately:

Supposedly, some mites are just waste eaters that occasionally attach to ants to follow them to new nests. I've no idea whether that's true or if the ones I described are going to kill off my new fire ant queen. It's not something to get upset about, though. Fire ants are more common than any other species in my area, at least around buildings and fields, and they're invasive, anyway.

I might try giving them lemon water or a lemon wedge if the queen survives until I get a formicarium ready.

Edit: I've put a small amount of honey and a very small (dead and decapitated) mealworm in the Solenopsis and Pheidole tubes. The Solenopsis queen has already laid over a dozen eggs, and I've seen one of her majors feeding her via trophallaxis.

Edited by JFowler, February 24 2017 - 12:22 AM.

#6 Offline Alabama Anter - Posted February 24 2017 - 10:02 AM

Alabama Anter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts
  • LocationBoulder, Colorado

TC, Solenopsis invicta have polygynous colonies, and founding colonies nest very shallow, also some mites can be helpful. (Phoretic mites)

YJK

#7 Offline Jamie_Garrison - Posted February 24 2017 - 10:12 AM

Jamie_Garrison

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • LocationNortheast Florida

jfowler... you are not to far from me....js...ant round up 

#8 Offline JFowler - Posted February 24 2017 - 11:13 AM

JFowler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

jfowler... you are not to far from me....js...ant round up 

Yes, I'm only a few hours away. Congratulations on your Prenolepis imparis! I really wish I could find those in my area.

#9 Offline Jamie_Garrison - Posted February 24 2017 - 11:15 AM

Jamie_Garrison

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • LocationNortheast Florida

Thanks, you should ... i think

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users