• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Ants ID needed

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Offline T.C. - Posted March 16 2017 - 2:36 PM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,067 posts

1. Location of collection: Wisconsin
2. Date of collection: 3/16/17
3. Habitat of collection: The bark they were found under, was originally from the woods, then placed in our yard.
4. Length (from head to gaster):WORKERS A little over 1/4 of a centimeter.
5. Color, hue, pattern aND texture: Light brown.
6. Distinguishing characteristics: N/A
7. Distinguishing behavior: I noticed these ants would full blown out Walk backwards, and I was not seeing things. I am dead serious.
8. Nest description: Under bark of log.Very moist

Ok, so this is a colony I found today, under bark of a log I got from the woods. They were hibernating in a big pile. I can not say if there was a queen because I just flipped the the bark over and dumped them in the jar. A lot of larvae and eggs, and I would say there was 300-400 workers.

“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

#2 Offline Canadian anter - Posted March 16 2017 - 2:39 PM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,542 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada
Looks like Tapinoma sessile
  • T.C. likes this
Visit us at www.canada-ant-colony.com !

#3 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted March 16 2017 - 2:43 PM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts
  • LocationDracut, Massachusetts

Looks a lot like Lasius neoniger to me. Coloration is off for T. sessile.

Edited by Nathant2131, March 16 2017 - 2:43 PM.

#4 Offline Canadian anter - Posted March 16 2017 - 2:52 PM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,542 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada
Could be one of the smaller Lasius

#5 Offline MrILoveTheAnts - Posted March 16 2017 - 2:53 PM

MrILoveTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

I was thinking Lasius alienus. Their young larva should be covered in prickly hairs.

Edited by MrILoveTheAnts, March 16 2017 - 2:55 PM.

• T.C. likes this

#6 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted March 16 2017 - 2:54 PM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts

I was thinking Lasius alienus. Their larva should be thorny if they are.

L. alienus can have light brown coloration?

#7 Offline MrILoveTheAnts - Posted March 16 2017 - 2:57 PM

MrILoveTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

I was thinking Lasius alienus. Their larva should be thorny if they are.

L. alienus can have light brown coloration?

I wouldn't call this light brown and I've never known L. neoniger to nest in wood.

• LC3 and Nathant2131 like this

#8 Offline Canadian anter - Posted March 16 2017 - 3:24 PM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,542 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada
The larvae look smooth to me

#9 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted March 16 2017 - 4:05 PM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

I second Lasius alienus. In North America, they love nesting under bark. The way to tell for sure is to get a good image of their antennal scapes.

• T.C. likes this

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

Black lives still matter.

#10 Offline T.C. - Posted March 16 2017 - 6:09 PM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,067 posts

I second Lasius alienus. In North America, they love nesting under bark. The way to tell for sure is to get a good image of their antennal scapes.

I'll try to get a good picture of their antanne. If I can't get a good pic of the antannea, what should I be looking for?

#11 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted March 16 2017 - 6:11 PM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

I'll try to get a good picture of their antanne. If I can't get a good pic of the antannea, what should I be looking for?

Standing hairs on the antennal scapes.

Edited by Batspiderfish, March 16 2017 - 6:11 PM.

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

#12 Offline T.C. - Posted March 17 2017 - 10:43 AM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,067 posts
Ok, they do have those hairs on the antennae, you are speaking of after close inspection. So I believe I can go with lasius alienus then?

Also any advice on how to get them out of that jar?

#13 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted March 17 2017 - 11:25 AM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

Ok, they do have those hairs on the antennae, you are speaking of after close inspection. So I believe I can go with lasius alienus then?

Also any advice on how to get them out of that jar?

Standing hairs or appressed hairs? Can you take a picture?

----

#14 Offline T.C. - Posted March 17 2017 - 12:19 PM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,067 posts
Jar is too dirty to get a clean shot, and If I open the lid I am gonna have a mess on my hands. I might be able to get a shot once I move them. However I can tell you that the hairs on the antannea are more so standing than appressed. They come straight out.

#15 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted March 17 2017 - 1:32 PM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

Interesting. We'll have to look at the teeth on the mandibles next. Lasius alienus has no standing hairs on its scapes. This would indicate Lasius neoniger or Lasius pallitarsis. When you say "antennae", you do mean the scapes, the long first segment which attaches to the head, right?

Edited by Batspiderfish, March 17 2017 - 1:39 PM.

----

#16 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted March 17 2017 - 1:38 PM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts

I had a feeling these were neoniger or pallitarsis. (Not trying to rub it in or anything though)

#17 Offline T.C. - Posted March 17 2017 - 3:15 PM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,067 posts

When you say "antennae", you do mean the scapes, the long first segment which attaches to the head, right?

That would be correct.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users