• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Bottle Cap Queen Founding Chamber

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted March 19 2017 - 12:39 PM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts
  • LocationDracut, Massachusetts

I was playing around with water bottle caps to see what I could make and wooped together this thing:

wnpR9F3.jpg

USlzL2O.jpg

7RQZ136.jpg

Just a SmartWater bottle cap (3 cm diameter, 1.5 cm deep) with a small piece of cotton ball in it, then wrapped with clingwrap and closed it off with electrical tape. I can poke a tiny hole with a blunt tip syringe above the cotton for hydration. This is good becuase you can choose how hydrated it is and  how large the cootn ball can be, unlike test tubes where they are always the same humidity. Meant for small species like Lasius, Temnothorax, Brachymyrmex, Prenolepis imparis, etc. from the queen to first few workers. Literally just made this so I'll have to see how it goes for the first queen to house it.

Maybe I can drill a hole in the side and plug it with cotton. Then when workers come, I can place it in an outworld and unplug the cotton, since I can't get solid food in there without taking it apart or making a too-big hole.

Thoughts and suggestions?

#2 Offline Works4TheGood - Posted March 19 2017 - 1:30 PM

Works4TheGood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 417 posts
  • LocationState College, PA
What I did was buy tiny test tubes and create test tube setups using sugar water. They do dry up (sugar re-crystalizes on the cotton surface), but that's really fine because it forces me to freshen them up once a week. They can also get pretty nasty and change colors (yellow & pink first) if they're not changed frequently enough, so I would be certain that your design is easily cleaned or replaced.
~Dan

#3 Offline Annexis - Posted March 19 2017 - 1:34 PM

Annexis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationAtlanta Georgia

I believe some queens would be able to chew their way out of clingwrap, I could be wrong but I would watch out for that if I were you.

• Nathant2131 likes this

#4 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted March 19 2017 - 1:43 PM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts

What I did was buy tiny test tubes and create test tube setups using sugar water. They do dry up (sugar re-crystalizes on the cotton surface), but that's really fine because it forces me to freshen them up once a week. They can also get pretty nasty and change colors (yellow & pink first) if they're not changed frequently enough, so I would be certain that your design is easily cleaned or replaced.

Mm. I'll have to figure out a way to clean it up. I think replacing the cling wrap with a loose plastic cover would be easy for cleanup.

#5 Offline dspdrew - Posted March 19 2017 - 1:51 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Yeah, ants will chew right through that thin plastic.

#6 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted March 19 2017 - 1:52 PM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts
I'll find a plastic top.

#7 Offline drtrmiller - Posted March 19 2017 - 1:52 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts
Why did you do this?
  • Jelly likes this

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#8 Offline Works4TheGood - Posted March 19 2017 - 2:05 PM

Works4TheGood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 417 posts

Why did you do this?

I'm guessing that it was a self-imposed ant-keeping macgyver challenge. I've done a few myself! :)

Edited by Works4TheGood, March 19 2017 - 2:05 PM.

~Dan

#9 Offline Canadian anter - Posted March 19 2017 - 2:19 PM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada
I've tried it before and it doesn't work. Too many escapees
Visit us at www.canada-ant-colony.com !

#10 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted March 19 2017 - 2:20 PM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts

Why did you do this?

this was my first ever formicarium I've made. I just wanted to start out little and go from there. I knew this was nothing revolutionary but I just wanted to test myself out.

Edited by Nathant2131, March 19 2017 - 2:21 PM.

• ctantkeeper and Cindy like this

#11 Offline Alabama Anter - Posted March 19 2017 - 4:47 PM

Alabama Anter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts
  • LocationBoulder, Colorado

Oh yeah, invicta will chew through that like no one's problem.

YJK

#12 Offline thosaka - Posted March 19 2017 - 5:24 PM

thosaka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

This is great. I like how you make it from whatever you have in your house. I think this is how most billionaires and entrepreneurs started. If things don't work out with the founding chamber, I found this nicely sized container for a price:

I was thinking of pill bottles/capsule bottles/snap cap vials, but some were orange or translucent, and it would have been hard to take a picture, and some were too tall and too slim, not ideal for a founding chamber. I think this plastic jar is perfect with a 1.45 inch diameter and 1.25 inch height. Slightly wider and shorter in height than pill bottles/capsule bottles/snap cap vials. You can still take pictures from the side or from below, and, if you really need a picture from the top, you can take off the lid. Also, with a wider dimension, you can add a cotton that takes up half the space, and leave the other half without cotton.

http://www.ebay.com/...s&ul_noapp=true

My 2nd choice would be:

https://www.amazon.c...PE5VMGYXDY7RGH6

Tell me your insight. What do you think of these products?

• T.C. likes this

#13 Offline Alabama Anter - Posted March 20 2017 - 2:32 PM

Alabama Anter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts
  • LocationBoulder, Colorado

I use bottle caps for feeders.

• ctantkeeper likes this

YJK

#14 Offline Works4TheGood - Posted March 23 2017 - 8:27 AM

Works4TheGood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 417 posts

I use bottle caps for feeders.

I used to put cotton in bottle caps and then use a pipette to add sugar water.   It worked.  However, the setups got pretty disgusting after a while, and would require regular thorough cleaning.  Also, the ants love to pile substrate on it, and if there's enough of it, it can siphon out the sugar water.  That's when I switched to using small test tube setups half way filled with sugar water.

~Dan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users