• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Camponotus Queen - Bizarre find. What happened, and is she doomed?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Antyman - Posted March 3 2017 - 10:08 AM

Antyman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

I have a camponotus colony (not sure of their exact species) from Michigan.

I caught her last summer, and they have been doing well.  She had three nanitics last year.  I put them into hibernation early last year, and took them out about 2 weeks ago.

They were doing fine (she laid new eggs after hibernation).  I gave them new sugar water and cricket leg, but they have not un-blocked the tunnel leading to outside (they blocked it with refuse during hibernation).

I noticed today that she is sitting very low to the ground, facing away from the glass, so I can't really see her head.  Then I noticed it ...

It appears that both of her antennae have somehow been removed, and are on the floor on the other side of the brood chamber. 

Has anyone experienced this?  How could this have happened?  Is she doomed without her antenna? :(

#2 Offline AntsMAN - Posted March 3 2017 - 10:31 AM

AntsMAN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 617 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada

I'm afraid that yes she is doomed, antenna are essential to ants for many important reasons.

Current queens/colonies

Camponotus novaeboracensis x2

Camponotus pennsylvanicus x2

Camponotus herculeanus x1

Formica sp. x1

Lasius americanus x1  (Lasius alienus)

Lasius neoniger x1

Crematogastor cerasi x1

Myrmica sp. x1

#3 Offline Serafine - Posted March 3 2017 - 10:34 AM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,789 posts
  • LocationGermany
She can't really smell/touch anything anymore, however if she lays eggs the workers might be able to take care for them. Probably it won't work out but you can always try.

Edited by Serafine, March 3 2017 - 10:35 AM.

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

#4 Offline Jamie_Garrison - Posted March 3 2017 - 10:44 AM

Jamie_Garrison

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • LocationNortheast Florida

bummer

#5 Offline Loops117 - Posted March 3 2017 - 11:59 AM

Loops117

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 802 posts
  • LocationSouth Lyon, Michigan

Wow, that's insane. I've never heard of this before. I had a Camponotus major live a full life with only 1 antennae, but that's about it.

#6 Offline Serafine - Posted March 3 2017 - 1:17 PM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,789 posts
  • LocationGermany
Just try and see what happens. Maybe we all learn something new.

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

#7 Offline Antyman - Posted March 3 2017 - 1:58 PM

Antyman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

I will definitely keep her as long as she is alive ... I'm too attached to kill her. 

Thank you all for the replies, even though I guess it's not good news.

Does anyone know how this could have happened?  I assume she wouldn't/couldn't do that to herself, so I'm assuming her workers did it.  But I can't imagine why. 

I read a long time ago, I think, where someone had workers that cut off some of their queen's legs, but I don't know why they'd go for her antennae.  :(

#8 Offline Antyman - Posted March 5 2017 - 2:42 PM

Antyman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Update:

Unfortunately, it appears that the queen is dead.  I'm not sure if she died before the antennae were removed, or after, but the workers have moved her a few times, and I can see that her antennae are cut off right at her head (she's basically close shaved).

There seems to be no movement from her, even though the workers will still groom her occasionally. 

The workers continue to care for the eggs and larva. 

I did some research onto why/how this could happen, and I found some old forum discussions talking about how workers can get aggressive to the queen (too much grooming) when they aren't eating live prey. 

RIP my red queen :(

#9 Offline Californian Anter - Posted March 5 2017 - 2:49 PM

Californian Anter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • LocationFremont, California

Update:

Unfortunately, it appears that the queen is dead.  I'm not sure if she died before the antennae were removed, or after, but the workers have moved her a few times, and I can see that her antennae are cut off right at her head (she's basically close shaved).

There seems to be no movement from her, even though the workers will still groom her occasionally. 

The workers continue to care for the eggs and larva. 

I did some research onto why/how this could happen, and I found some old forum discussions talking about how workers can get aggressive to the queen (too much grooming) when they aren't eating live prey. 

RIP my red queen :(

For me it's the opposite. Though my queen isn't shaved, whenever live prey accidentally enters the nest, the Mini Hearth becomes like a nightclub with a massive brawl. The workers fake attack each other while the queen slaughters the victim. 

• Martialis likes this

Keeper of:

Camponotus Vicinus

Prenolepis Imparis

Tetramorium Sp. E x2

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users