• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Ant queen death

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Offline SaintDrake - Posted March 1 2017 - 11:04 AM

SaintDrake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • LocationEvanston, Il
What happens to a colony when an ant queen dies if it has several workers already?

I have read a number of different answers and am curious which is correct. Although I assume it is species specific.

Does a worker take over as the new queen? Do the workers raise an egg or larvae that is left behind to be a new queen? Do the workers just work until they too die? Do they go off and try and find a new colony to join? What happens?

#2 Offline Loops117 - Posted March 1 2017 - 11:19 AM

Loops117

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 802 posts
  • LocationSouth Lyon, Michigan

It's species specific. But for for most species, it usually means death of the colony.

Some species actually have fertile egg producing workers that are forbidden to lay while the queen is alive. After the death of the queen, some workers will actually fight to become the queen. I believe these are called gamergates. There's also been documents of queenless colonies continuing to live out it's life, but they have different characteristics after which.

Others will produce male alates, not sure how long that lasts.

Also, there's always the opportunity of a parasitic queen taking the reigns.

• Martialis and AntsBrazil like this

#3 Offline sgheaton - Posted March 1 2017 - 1:23 PM

sgheaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Some species actually have fertile egg producing workers that are forbidden to lay while the queen is alive. 

What kind of lame existence of a life...

While you're able to be the almighty birth giver, nope! You getta move this dirt. Welcome to the colony!

"I'm the search bar! Type questions into me and I'll search within the forums for an answer!"

#4 Offline Loops117 - Posted March 1 2017 - 1:37 PM

Loops117

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 802 posts
  • LocationSouth Lyon, Michigan

Some species actually have fertile egg producing workers that are forbidden to lay while the queen is alive. 

While you're able to be the almighty birth giver, nope! You getta move this dirt. Welcome to the colony!

It's insane. Each female has the ability and on occasion one will slip up and lay her own eggs. The colony immediately knows who the culprit is and will dismember her in the nest to set an example. Little savages.

• Martialis and soulsynapse like this

#5 Offline XZero38 - Posted March 1 2017 - 1:37 PM

XZero38

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • LocationHenderson, CO

Of course! Havent you ever seen the movie Ants?

#6 Offline soulsynapse - Posted March 1 2017 - 3:18 PM

soulsynapse

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts
  • LocationSoCal

It's insane. Each female has the ability and on occasion one will slip up and lay her own eggs. The colony immediately knows who the culprit is and will dismember her in the nest to set an example. Little savages.

wow lol

Come join 3,400 other ant keepers on the Antkeeping Discord

14,000 messages a day

Friendly and helpful :D

#7 Offline Leo - Posted March 1 2017 - 3:45 PM

Leo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,513 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

like diaccama rugosum and harpenthagos

#8 Offline Antsinmycloset - Posted March 1 2017 - 4:31 PM

Antsinmycloset

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

I don't know if they "wander off", but doomed colonies can have their brood/workers, well, basically kidnapped. There's also been examples in captivity where a doomed colony, seemingly realizing their predicament, has accepted a replacement queen.

#9 Offline Serafine - Posted March 1 2017 - 4:52 PM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

https://phys.org/new...opoly.html#nRlv

Edited by Serafine, March 1 2017 - 4:52 PM.

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

#10 Offline LC3 - Posted March 1 2017 - 6:52 PM

LC3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

I think there are hefty number species of ants  where the workers aren't capable of laying eggs, their ovaries just never develop enough to begin with. I remember Pogonomyrmex workers weren't capable of laying eggs while Veromessor workers can.

Edited by LC3, March 1 2017 - 6:53 PM.

• Jamie_Garrison likes this

#11 Offline Works4TheGood - Posted March 2 2017 - 5:02 PM

Works4TheGood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 417 posts
  • LocationState College, PA
Workers are just robots that the queen creates to bring her resources. In most cases, they are nothing more than the legs that twitch after you've squashed the mosquito.

Edited by Works4TheGood, March 2 2017 - 6:16 PM.

~Dan

#12 Offline BMM - Posted March 2 2017 - 8:32 PM

BMM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

I've got about 20 Tapinoma sessile workers that are queenless but still raising what brood they had when I caught them. I've had them for close to half a year now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users