• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Pogonomyrmex Californicus Brood

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Offline MrPurpleB - Posted March 1 2017 - 8:42 PM

MrPurpleB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

A while back I purchased a founding colony with one larvae and two queens. Unfortunately, the queens ate the larvae, but today I saw what looks like eggs or another larvae. I assume that the one of the queens have laid an egg, and not larvae because I did not notice the them before. I was just really happy to see that the colony was not going to fall apart, but I wondered how long does it take an egg to hatch into a larvae the eclose to a worker.

Do any of you guys know the time it may take for an egg to go to to worker?

#2 Offline Socalfireants - Posted March 2 2017 - 8:22 AM

Socalfireants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Mine took what seemed to be two weeks. I used a heat pad and a tar heel mini hearth. Unfortunately the workers died and the queen died soon after..

• MrPurpleB likes this

#3 Offline MrPurpleB - Posted March 2 2017 - 10:50 AM

MrPurpleB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts
Thanks for the tip! I have also heard that it may take up a few months, so I will just wait for now. Sorry, for your Pogonomyrmex colony.

#4 Offline Socalfireants - Posted March 2 2017 - 11:48 AM

Socalfireants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

I can tell you they usually like warmer and slightly dry habitats. 

#5 Offline Martialis - Posted March 2 2017 - 12:39 PM

Martialis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts
  • LocationMississippi

It depends very much on the species.

Spoiler

#6 Offline MrPurpleB - Posted March 2 2017 - 12:39 PM

MrPurpleB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts

I will make sure to keep their habitat dry and warm. At the moment I have a heating cable that wraps around the setup a few time, which probably led to the queen to lay the egg. Also I add water, but make sure it is only on one side of the setup, so the queens can decide where they want to be. 

#7 Offline MrPurpleB - Posted March 2 2017 - 12:41 PM

MrPurpleB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts

It depends very much on the species.

Thank you for mentioning this, I forgot to mention, other than the title, that the colony is a Pogonomyrmex californicus.  

• Martialis likes this

#8 Offline Martialis - Posted March 2 2017 - 12:44 PM

Martialis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts
  • LocationMississippi

I don't really know much about Pogognomyrmrex, but is it possible they were trying to hibernate?

• MrPurpleB likes this
Spoiler

#9 Offline MrPurpleB - Posted March 2 2017 - 12:52 PM

MrPurpleB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts

I don't really know much about Pogognomyrmrex, but is it possible they were trying to hibernate?

Well I do not believe that Pogonomyrmex hibernate, but they do go dormant. I mean dormant in the sense the colony chooses to stay inside the colony without going outside the colony, which probably affects the queen’s decision to lay eggs and lowers workers’ activity to a certain extent. I also assumed that the queens choose to go dormant since they did not touch there sugary food or protein sources.

#10 Offline Socalfireants - Posted March 3 2017 - 8:13 AM

Socalfireants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Are you letting her forage? They are semi claustral and will search outside the nest for food. Try giving a cricket leg or fruit flies. Sometimes when they eat their larva its because of a lack of protein. 

• MrPurpleB likes this

#11 Offline MrPurpleB - Posted March 3 2017 - 8:26 AM

MrPurpleB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Are you letting her forage? They are semi claustral and will search outside the nest for food. Try giving a cricket leg or fruit flies. Sometimes when they eat their larva its because of a lack of protein. 

I do let her forage. Not too long ago I gave the queens an entire cricket. Thanks for the advise. 

Just to clarify, since I did not already do it, the queens ate the larvae a few months ago, it was late November. 

#12 Offline Socalfireants - Posted March 3 2017 - 8:33 AM

Socalfireants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

November? That seems late for a Pogonomyrmex queen to be flying. 

#13 Offline MrPurpleB - Posted March 3 2017 - 8:55 AM

MrPurpleB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Well I bought the queens at November, but the queens ate the larvae at the end of November. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users